Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

help needed, first food plot

Old 08-28-2007, 08:31 PM

Default help needed, first food plot

I've been wanting to put up a food plot for several years now and this year I'm going to do the best I can.I got a bag of"Evolved Habitats Harvest Throw and Grow Game Seed" at wally world and plan on planting that on another food plot I'm fixing up.The food plot I'm needing help with is the one I'm really going to be hunting alot this season.It's a field that we've hunted near my house since we've lived there and deer come out there every night and just about everyday in daylight.I wouldnt have any idea how many acres it is but my dad doesnt wantme to take up his(my neighbor owns it)whole field so for this year I'm probably only going to plant an acre.Maybe a little more it just depends on some other stuff.But anyway to get to my question, what should I plant? I thought about clover,rape brassica,and winter wheat.I'llbe bowhunting in a differentareaand on a few weekends I'll be going to my uncles but other than that I'm going to be in a ladderstand watching that field.If it helps any I live in north east Tennessee.I'd like to plant something that will be huntable all season long.Is the forage that Imentioned grow well enough that it can keep growing well even if its being harassed by deer?How many lbs of the seed that you recommend should I get?One other thing, what about spraying for weeds/grasses?The grass in that field is thick, I'm sure I'll need to spray something to keep it from taking over my food plot.Can I start spraying now and wait a week.Then plant?I'm sorry for making this long and full questions I'm totally new to this stuff.Thanks for ANY help!
Old 08-28-2007, 09:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: help needed, first food plot

what equipment do you have access to? if you have none, i suggest you buy a 2 gallon sprayer and some generic roundup and spray all the grasses and weeds in that area. in about 2 weeks you can broadcast your seed.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:05 AM

Default RE: help needed, first food plot

I have an atv,sprayer,seed spreader, and hand tiller.Thanks again for the help