Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Does anyone know how to make......

Old 08-28-2007, 02:33 PM

Default Does anyone know how to make......

the stuff that deer can eat that holds these corn blocks and soybean blocks together? I would love to be able to make these myself, but I have never been much ofa cook. I see these things in the store, catalogs and such, but don't know what they use. I imagine it's the same kind of stuff in peanut brittle, but I'm not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Does anyone know how to make......

Just guessing but I'd boil down some molasses(or add sugar) until it started to crystalize. You might try some of my wife's pie crust - flour and salt

Dan O.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

I know a guy that used to take a jug of molasses and mix it w/ corn, milo, oats, and other assorted grains; line a milk crate w/ card board, put in the mixture and let harden. then he'd dump it out, peel off the cardboard and there youd have it. I dont know how long he had to let it harden though. trial and error i suppose.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:46 PM

thanks for the tips gentlemen, I'll let ya know if any of them work.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:18 PM

If anyone perfects this formula please post back.. I would love to make some blocks for getting some game cam pics in the deep woods.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

Okay, I talked to my guy about it yesterday.

he uses: liquid molasses (he buys feed grade for less than $1 per gall from a feed store); oats (whole, rolled, what ever); rolled corn; 1 gal corn or pancake syrup; sometimes mixes in chopped apples, applesauce, pears, (not necessarily all of them, sometimes not at all).

mix it all together to make sure the grain is covered in molasses. to harden it, he said to put in 1# of brown sugar per 10gal of mixture. I think the more bsugar, the harder it will get.

He said you can freeze it or just dump it out on the ground in a pile. when its colder, it will stay somewhat hard on its own. you can also put it in 5 gal buckets and dump those out. He doesnt get excited if it doesnt stay together. He puts it out for feed. Claims once the deer find it, it will be gone overnite.

?: will food grade molasses work??? Yes, its just more costly.
?: other grains??? yes, put it what you want (corn, milo, sorghum, beans, peas, oats, whatever youcan find)
Old 09-02-2007, 08:27 PM

I read the post and like the fact you all are do it yourself guys, but I would rather spend my time in the woods scouting. I came across a product that at first glance new was a darn good idea, one you wished you would have come up with yourself. I tried it and wouldnt have believed it worked, or lasted as long as the makers claim if I didnt test it myself. I learned last year it is a great product. Its called Fusion deer lick. I like that I can screw it to a tree and leave it. I sent some testimonials to the makers last year, and they told me lots of places sell it including Gander Mountain. Try it, may save you some time in the kitchen..