Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Blueberries in the woods?

Old 07-24-2007, 02:39 PM

Default Blueberries in the woods?

I went over to a buddy's house last night and he was showing me that the previous owner appearantly planted blueberries all arounda deer standas an understory of the wooded area. The woods are basicallywhite oaks and pines with blueberry bushes underneath. Has anyone else ever heard of, or done this? We live in Delaware, were these in fact blueberries - I wansn't carrying my 1800 page field guide with me? I believe they need acidic soils, which tells me pines. He claimed that they even held their greens until DECEMBER. Typically, in DE, the first week or two of NOVEMBER are when leaf colors are brightest, so I guess I'll buy it.

Anyhoo, I have about 14 acres behind my house that doesn't get any attention from the slickheads (bucks are non existant) until winter. There's just too many other food sources. This little parcel is also mixed with White Oaks and Pines, and I'd like to experiment so long as I'm not spreading some sort of non-native, invasive that I'm going to regret. Does anyone have any insight as to whether this is a good or bad idea. Do deer indeed love these things? Will they thrive inpart sun, part shade, or do they need full sun? Lots ofquestions, but I'm just fishingfor whatever info I can get.I appreciate your time.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:26 PM

Default RE: Blueberries in the woods?

Vaccinium angustifolium - Late Low Blueberry

http://www.rook.org/earl/bwca/nature/shrubs/vacciniuman.html

I did a little research and answered most of my questions, BUT, does anyone have any experience with this stuff?
Old 07-24-2007, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bears, turkeys, grouse and other assorted birds but I've never heard of blueberries for deer. Let us know if you find that they eat them.

Dan O.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:41 PM

I found some on our property too in NY. I'm not really sure if they were planted since they are way back in the boonies, but next to an old abandoned cabin. But they are on the top of a steep, dry, south facing hill with very acidic soil. The leaves stay green pretty late into the fall....but I have never really noticed the deer on them. The berries dotaste pretty good, but really small....bear crap is always in the area, so they must like them.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:23 AM

That's them! - really small berries. I've actually read that they are a big factor in bear reproductive success. If I could just get the deer to love them... Worth a try I guess. I found some growing in another area I was scouting - and there was an old - old - old deerstand remnant from years ago right around them. They're native, so I'll give em a shot.