Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

food plot concern

Old 06-25-2007, 06:04 PM

Default food plot concern

in may i went up to my cabin and started to put in a small food plot one of the seeds i used was tecomate lab lab. i haven't been back up there yet but my concern is that when i planted the seed ididn't get the seed deep enough. because of the lack of tools and lack of money to get them i broadcasted the seeds and then just drove back and forth over the plot with a riding tractor to push the seeds into the ground. with worked last year with a oats and rye i planted last year but obiviouly they don't need to be as deep. what can a hunter on a budget do to get these seeds in the ground? any home made drags?
Old 06-25-2007, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: food plot concern

Try dragging a heavy pipe next time, it would probablyhelp.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

lab lab doesn't need to be any deeper than most brassicas - I'd say 1/4" and less. your method should have been OK - but the biggest issue for you will probably be weed competition.

I guess when you see what you got - you'll know.
\
FH
Old 06-26-2007, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

As mentioned above, your biggest concern will be weeds! It's probably not looking very good if it hasn't been tended to for awhile. Good luck
Old 06-26-2007, 04:33 PM

cool now where getting somewhere my main concern is to be prepared for when i go up in a couple weeks and know what will need to be done for different situations, as for weed control what do you guys recommend the plot is not big at all 1/2 acre or so i have alot of ferns trrough out he property along with grasses and weeds.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mow it to keep the weeds at bay. Far as a homemade seed bed deal. I used a set of old bed springs, and a lawn roller.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:30 PM

ok guys i'm going to head to the cabin tomorrow and tend to my plot my worry is the only tool i have to mow my plot(if the weeds are out of control)is a craftsman riding mower should i use this to cut my plot? also should i use any herbicideon the weeds to? won't driving a tractor, atvor riding lawn mower on your plot kill some of the clover and such. sorry so many questions absolute newbie here
Old 07-08-2007, 05:48 PM

ok guys just got back from my hunting property and i'm not happy, the lablab didn't grow at all!!! some of the rye and oats grew and only some of the tecomate ultra forage grew. with the lablab the only think i can think of is that i didnt plant it deep enough, with the oats,rye and ultra forage it came up but in patches some areas are real bare and then some areas are fine, i'm going back up next weekend to try and replant the lab lab and do something with the rest, any suggestions on what i should do? why do you think some of the stuff came up patchy, whats the best way to fix this should i just redo it all? please help. oh and the only problem i had with weeds is i have ferns everywhere on my property really think woods with a blanket of ferns some of these ferns came back up in the plot but i went through and mowed them down.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:29 AM

THE FIRST THING I THINK OF WHEN YOU SAY THAT YOU HAVE FERNS IS INADEQUATE SUNLIGHT. MORE THAN LIKELY THOUGH, YOU HAVE SOILTHATIS "SOUR". THE pH IS TOO LOW (ACIDIC) AND THEREFORE YOUR PLANTS ARE HAVING A HARD TIME DRAWING NUTRIENTS. (WHICH ARE PROBABLY ON THE LOW SIDE ANYWAYS.)

DID YOU LIME AND FERTILIZE THE SOIL FIRST (SOIL TEST)??
AND HOW MUCH RAIN FALL HAVE YOU HAD??

DID YOU EVER CONSIDER MAYBE JUST GROWING MARIGOLDS??
(JUST KIDDING.....)
Old 07-09-2007, 04:43 PM

yea i did a two soil test one with the probe you stick in the ground and that one was around 6.5 and then the one you get with antler king products the paper that you stick in a sample of dirt mixed with water and it changes colors accordingly that one was in the area of 5.5 but not sure how accurate either one is. i do know that there definately was not any good rainfall

Quick Reply: food plot concern

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.