Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Questions for a small food plot

Old 12-21-2002, 01:02 PM

Default Questions for a small food plot

Hey I am going to try to plant some Imperial products this year in a couple of fields that are only about 1/2 acre big how should I plant it. And what should I plant. I also need to know when to plant it.

I read all about that you need a soil test how do you get one and how much do they cost. Also when should I plant the Imperial product thanks for your help. I am new at this so please try to explain.Oh yeah I live in Arkansas

Edited by - cabelascaleb on 12/21/2002 14:06:28

Edited by - cabelascaleb on 12/21/2002 14:08:25<font size=1></font id=size1>

Edited by - cabelascaleb on 12/21/2002 14:44:51
Old 12-22-2002, 05:45 PM
SAK

Default RE: Questions for a small food plot

soil tests will run you less than $10 a piece. As far as when to plant that information is on the back of the imperial products as is the info on how to plant. Half acre plots would probably be best for imperial clover or alpha rack. Imperial does have a new soy/lab lab product. If you were to go with the soy/lab lab you would have to invest in a deer repellent. This would be put around the plot to repel the deer until the soy was about knee high and then removed to allow the deer in. It would be extra work but if you know anything about how much deer HAMMER soy it would be worth the extra effort.
Old 12-22-2002, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is Soy the same as Rape? I know lab-lab is a brassica, but when you say &quot;soy&quot;, is it a similar plant? I don't think you mean soybeans, but let me know if I'm wrong.

As far as planting clover, spring and fall are best, because you need moisture. I've done both with good results. There is a ton of good information you can get on planting it, but the best advice I can give (except follow the soil test recommendations)is to make sure the plot is as level as you can get it prior to planting, and do NOT cover the seed but &quot;press it in&quot; to the ground with a roller, or even your truck/tractor tires. A good, firm seed bed is the key to a thick plot. Lastly, plant one day prior to a rain, or even in a light rain if you can.

I like plots not smaller than 1 acre - with 2 acres about the right size for nutritional benefit. Your village likely has an Ag extension office, where you can have a soil test done. Also, local colleges may as well. If in doubt, call the local seed dealer/store the farmers use, they will point you in the right direction, they will also give you good local advice, that will come in handy. The local co-op has bent over backwards to help me understand things.
Old 12-23-2002, 12:20 PM
Typical Buck

Follow the directions on the back of the bag to a &quot;T&quot;. The planting dates are also pn the back of the bag. Northern planting is a different time from the southern season. The IWC needs a good quality sandy loam with a top soil depth of at least 10-12 inches. We suggest that if you soil pH value is more than q point out, less than 6.0, that you lime and fertilize and wait until the following planting season. This will give the lime time to work in the soil. Also you will need to pay close attention to the extended weather forecast. If a drought is predicted, we suggest that you wait until the next planbting season. Also, you MUST rid the area to be planted of weeds and especially grasses. If the grasses are not killed off you can expect trouble in the near future. Do not be in a hurry to fail. Ridding the area of grasses can take a season. Disking and plowing will bring seed and spore to the surface.
Follow the instructions on cultipacking to a &quot;T&quot;. If you do not follow the instructions we can pretty much guarantee failure. You can follow the instructions and still experience failure. Your a farmer now and there is a reason most farmers do not drive new Aston Martins... The uncontrollable circumstances like weather....

Romans 10:9 Psalms 42
Old 12-23-2002, 12:25 PM
Typical Buck

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Follow the directions on the back of the bag to a &quot;T&quot;. The planting dates are also pn the back of the bag. Northern planting is a different time from the southern season. The IWC needs at least a good quality sandy loam, preferably a loamy soil, with a top soil depth of at least 10-12 inches. Take a posthole digger and dig some holes in each of the areas to be planted. Dig about 1-3 for a 1/2 acre and 6 holes for 3 acres. This will allow you to inspect the soil conditions below the surface and make any adjustments for bad sub soils. It is possible to have great top soil for an inche or two and then gravel.
We suggest that if you soil pH value is more than q point out, less than 6.0, that you lime and fertilize and wait until the following planting season. This will give the lime time to work in the soil. Also you will need to pay close attention to the extended weather forecast. If a drought is predicted, we suggest that you wait until the next planbting season. Also, you MUST rid the area to be planted of weeds and especially grasses. If the grasses are not killed off you can expect trouble in the near future. Do not be in a hurry to fail. Ridding the area of grasses can take a season. Disking and plowing will bring seed and spore to the surface.
Follow the instructions on cultipacking to a &quot;T&quot;. If you do not follow the instructions we can pretty much guarantee failure. You can follow the instructions and still experience failure. Your a farmer now and there is a reason most farmers do not drive new Aston Martins... The uncontrollable circumstances like weather....

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Old 12-23-2002, 12:26 PM
Typical Buck

oops!!!

Old 12-23-2002, 02:25 PM

Thank you all for your help does anyone have a special lime or fertilizer they recommend. Thanks again. MERRY CHRISTMAS
Old 12-27-2002, 05:48 AM
Typical Buck

Your soil sample should give limeing and fertilizing instructions. Liquid lime may be used with the bag lime for an immediate effect. We suggest that if you soil pH value is one point or more out tha you lime and wait until the next planting season. We suggest the organic fertilizers be used.