Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

food plots

Old 05-20-2007, 10:33 PM

Default food plots

i just planted some wheat/rye, tecomate forage mix and some tecomate lab lab, my question is will these plots be good through out the year or only through summer? do i have to plant different stuff before bow season?
Old 05-21-2007, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: food plots

The Lab Lab is strictly a summer forage, however.. I wouldn't have planted the other species in your plot now. The wheat and brassicas will now mature well before the Fall when the deer will utilize them and now be of NO use during the deer season??? In my humble opinion, you should have simply planted the Lab Lab and left it at that. The other seeds in the mix would have been great to broadcast in the lab Lab plot this late summer/early Fall?
Old 05-21-2007, 05:22 PM

well my plot is about 3/4 of an acre big and broken up into three plots the middle plot being the wheat/ryemixed with the forage mixwhich is the biggest out of the three plots then lab lab of to one side and the other side i have not planted yet i was going to go back up this weekend and put in some of the whitetail institutes power plant. should i just leave this alone and wait till the end of summer and plant something then instead? i did not know that the plots would mature before the fall and become useless. also when you say that the lab lab is a summer forage only does that mean it will die by the time bow season starts?
Old 05-22-2007, 08:03 PM

anybody??
Old 05-22-2007, 08:16 PM
Typical Buck

Plot plants are warm season or cool season, meaning they do most of their growing during those conditions. The Lab Lab is warm season so will grow well over Summer and serve you during early-mid bow season. The wheat/rye are cool season so won't grow much if at all during Summer meaning weeds will outcompete them. You will probably get almost nothing from having planted them now. Live and learn.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:08 PM

so the power plant is a warm season plot plant and should work well in the begining of bow correct?