Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

wild ferns?

Old 05-17-2007, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default wild ferns?

Anyone know if deer eat wild ferns?Can't say i've ever seen them eating ferns but if they do i'd try fertilizing them just for kicks.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:10 AM

Default RE: wild ferns?

I've never seen any evidence of deer eating ferns.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Deer here will and do eat some types of fern while others they use to bed in and hind their fawns in. The type they eat here is the same type we pick early in the year. Those are the ones we call fiddleheads.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:22 AM
Dominant Buck

[*]Fronds may release hydrogen cyanide (HCN) when they are damaged (cyanogenesis), particularly the younger fronds. Herbivores, including sheep, selectively graze young fronds that are acyanogenic (without HCN) Lignin, tannin, and silicate levels tend to increase through the growing season making the plants less palatable. Cyanide (HCN) levels fall during the season as do the levels of a thiaminase which prevents utilization of B vitamins.
[*]Toxicity: Known to be poisonous to livestock throughout the US, Canada, and Europe. Simple stomach animals like horses, pigs, and rats develop a thiamine deficiency within a month. Acute bracken poisoning affects the bone marrow of both cattle and sheep, causing anemia and hemorrhaging which is often fatal. Blindness and tumors of the jaws, rumen, intestine, and liver are found in sheep feeding on bracken fern.
[*]Toxicity: All parts of brackenfern, including rootstocks, fresh or dry leaves, fiddleheads and spores, contain toxic compounds, and are poisonous to livestock and humans. Consumption of brackenfern causes vitamin B1 deficiency in horses, and toxins can pass into the milk of cattle. Young leaves of brackenfern have been used as a human food source, especially in Japan, and may be linked to increased incidence of stomach cancer. Humans working outdoors near abundant stands of the plant may be at risk from cancer-causing compounds in the spores.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am not contesting anyone but, here the same fern " fiddleheads " are sold in stores as well. These are not just any fern however and I agree with what Rebel said on most ferns. They are like mushrooms you would have to know which ones are which. Here fiddleheads and trout go hand in hand. Meaning that when the fiddleheads come out trout will start biting in most of the streams and rivers. The deer will also eat this type of fern.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any pictures of FIDDLEHEADS?
Old 05-23-2007, 06:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

I will see if they have not gone by this afternoon. If they are still growing I will get a couple of photos for you.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here are a few photos for you that I took today, they are taller then what we normally pick though.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

The fern that grows from them.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

and 1 type of non fiddelheads this is only 1 of many that are no good for deer or us.

Quick Reply: wild ferns?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.