Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How to Plant persimmions?? >

How to Plant persimmions??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How to Plant persimmions??

Old 09-24-2008, 05:34 PM

Default How to Plant persimmions??

Ok I posted this on AT also, but wanted to get some more input from ya'll!
[/align]
[/align]I was out scouting this afternoon since our season doesn't start for another 9 or ten days.....and ran across two very, very heavy persimmion trees. Just to make sure I took alittle bite. gotta love that bitter taste. So yeap definately persimmions that haven't ripened yet!
[/align]
[/align]And I was wondering if you can plant persimmions? What do you do just pull the seed out of the fruit and plant it?

And what do I have to do to plant some white oak acorns? I think I read last week you have to water test them and use only the ones that sink! Is this correct? Then what?

Any help on this would be helpful.

VA
[/align]__________________
[/align]
Old 09-24-2008, 05:41 PM

Default RE: How to Plant persimmions??

I'd think transplanting a smaller tree would give you a much bigger jump start on the finished product...I know of guys who have done it with apple trees, should work for persimon/oak as well.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

I would grow them in tester pots and then transplant. Make sure when or if you do, they get plenty of sunlight. Don't plant them in the middle of the woods. Field edges...Acorns is a different story
Old 09-25-2008, 07:32 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

Plant them like the Animals do, eat a few and let nature take it's course!
Old 09-25-2008, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Be prepared to wait. From what I've read, it's about 10 yrs until they will produce fruit.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:51 AM
Typical Buck

I have two fruit bearing persimmon trees in my yard, I was told it takes two to produce fruit. For the right price I will sell you mine, along with two apples trees, and two pear trees, and a few others I want to get rid of.

I have been making my special persimmon popsicles from the fruit. When they turn orange and fall, I collect them and put them in a blender with a tad of vanilla. I then put them in empty margarine bowls and freeze them. When season starts, I will toss them along trails for a treat for them. Once they thaw out, its a matter of a few hours before they disappear.

By the way....talk to Mr Lloyd and et us a spot in the back of his bean field. I have asked and he said he would stop by and give me a map of where I can hunt, but since you know him better.....and we are on the same team....lets slay some of the monsters Ive seen over there!
Old 09-25-2008, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Plant or transplant the biggest tree you can manage and you should have fruit in about 4 years....
Old 09-25-2008, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

If it were me, I'd talk with a local nursery. I'd suggest buying and planting them (2-4 foot trees) though just when they start to break from dormancy. Usually mid-April here in NY. I wouldn't buy any that wre uprooted and sat in a nursery all summer.