Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

finally got me a tiller

Old 04-10-2007, 06:04 AM

Default finally got me a tiller

well this aint much to all you guys buy for all my small plots this mantis tiller can get the job done....well i just wanted to share...do any of yall own one?

Old 04-10-2007, 07:20 AM

Default RE: finally got me a tiller

that may take u a while to till with that but like u said it will get the job done. just hope there's not many rocks where your gonna use it.

my friend is giving me a craftsman rototiller. im not sure if it'll be able to handle all the field stone in the ground w/o breaking, but we'll see. craftsman isn't known for it's durability [&:]
Old 04-10-2007, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

I have 2 of them I got from my great uncle. He got to old to use them. Well I did not have a problem with the rocks I had a prob with Roots and clay. I had to keep stopping and Removing the tines to clean them. It does beat the hell out of a pitch fork though. I have done that too. ZERO FUN!!!
Old 04-10-2007, 05:52 PM

yea well clay will pretty much do that with any tiller ...and as for the rocks in the areas where im planning to put a food plaot have little or no rocks....well il see how it works out today or tomarrow when i start to use it....illbe using it in sandy and in grass soils so well see how it goes...also whats the biggest area youve covered with this tiller and how long did it take you?
Old 04-11-2007, 04:36 AM

looks like a lot of work
Old 04-11-2007, 10:58 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: TROPHYHUNTER25

looks like a lot of work
I have one, you'd be surprised at how little effort it takes to operate them. They go through dirt like a badger, you just hold on and walk backward. My wife was saying just the other day how much she misses running it since she wrecked her shoulder at work in 2000, they're a lot of fun.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:11 AM

the reasons for picking this were that it was very light and mobile.......great for small foodplots and for doin backyards.....i tried it out these past two days and it has worked great the only put down is that if ur running it rooty and grassy areas that the tine will get full and you have to take the tine off and then clean them and put them back on which is about a 1-2 min process.......i cant wait to use it at the ranch this summer..and fall it will be great to get and put those little secret foodplots by my stand...
Old 04-12-2007, 08:17 AM
Fork Horn

Seems I herd something about the tine thing somewhere before? My theory was and still is I have more time than MONEY!!
Old 04-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Medic

Seems I herd something about the tine thing somewhere before? My theory was and still is I have more time than MONEY!!
When I hit a rooty/grassy spot and the tines clog I just pick them out, I've never had to remove the tines. A Mantis is surprisingly affordable too, we got ours at a local dealer for $200, and you get a lot of bang for that buck. Try dragging a conventional tiller into the woods to plant "micro plots" sometime. oops! Did I just give away a secret?
Old 04-12-2007, 03:28 PM

i know kevin that why i bought this one and because it seemed to have a good customer service by looking at their website ...currently im working on about a 15 by 20 yd bcakyard and ive been putting in about 20 minutes for the last two days and its about half way done.....in plannin to plant some of that scotts lawn thingy well see how it works out and i cant wait to use it for those hidden areas in the woods this year...