Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

First food plot

Old 04-09-2007, 07:51 AM

Default First food plot

One of my friends and I are thinking of putting out a food plot in a new spot that we just got permission to hunt. Here is my question what is something that will grow fast in the woods. This area is open so it gets plenty of daylight. Any tips are welcome I have never done it before so I don't know what to do.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First food plot

What growing zone are you in? Have you done a soil sample? If the soil is acidic you are going to have a hard time getting much to grow without lime on it first.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

How about some clover mixes?
Old 04-09-2007, 02:29 PM

I live in Indiana but I don't know what zone it is. We have not done any soil test we just looked at it for the first time on Saturday.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

More than likely you are going to have to lime and fertilize it quite a bit. I would also start off with some type of clover mix as it is one of the easiest and most forgiving if you have good conditions.

If you do plant clover you won't need a high nitrogen fertilizer as clover generates it's own.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:42 PM

Hey man, I am in the process of reading "The Ultimate Guide to Planting Food Plots for Deer". There is this product called Imperial Whitetail Clover and the manufacturer can use you zip code to determine which blend will be best for the climate you are planting in. It can be found at any leading farm and supply stores. If you can't find any you can order it directly fromthe Whitetail Institute of North America,and they will UPS it to you. PM me if you have any questions.

Clint
Old 04-09-2007, 05:42 PM
Spike

how big is the area you plan on planting?
Old 04-10-2007, 05:16 AM

clover with chicory works good i live in northern indiana
Old 04-10-2007, 07:24 AM

go to http://www.mossyoakbiologic.com/cont...p;section=none

when u fill out the form and send in your soil sample, they'll tell u exactly how much lime and fertilizer to put down for whatever product of theirs your using. once it gets there, they usually email u the results back in like 2 days. it's a good deal for only $7.50.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:33 AM
Spike

hey nice + blue, i was thinking of using biologic soil sample service for some roundup ready corn i want to plant this spring. will they let me get a soilsample for plots where i dont plan on using there seed???

Quick Reply: First food plot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.