Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Buck Grub

Old 04-05-2007, 09:44 AM
Spike

Default Buck Grub

Has anyone had ne experience with this product. I plan on using it in my feeder.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:17 PM

Default RE: Buck Grub

I used it two years ago and had no luck, it just laid on the ground and molded. It was right beside a heavy trail. I live in NW Ohio and its mainly all corn and beans around here. Last year I put a feeder and the deer hit it hard in the early spring and summer, but when the corn put on the ears and beans filled out they stopped using it totally. It became a coon and blue jay feeder. It may work in other areas where there is limited food, but around here it did not.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:43 AM
Fork Horn

I had mixed results here in Michigan. When I put it on the ground, the deer would hit the area if that was the only food present at that feeder site. However, if there was corn or other type of feed avialable they would not hit the buck grub. I also tried using it as a topping over the corn in my feeder. Since the deer ate the corn anyways, it was difficult to see if the Buck Grub had a true effect. When the feeder would go off, you could see Buck Grub Dust going everywhere. It seems to work best when concentrated and not in my feeder. I just could not see the benefit when other feeds, i.e. corn, was also available at the site.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't see how you can make an appreciable difference in the status of a wild deer herd with one or two sacks of this type supplement being used. Deer are browsers by nature and they will always prefer their wild plants. Good thing is that there are hundreds of wild natural plants that have high levels of proteins and other needed food values that deer need.A lot of natural plants run over 25% protein. These companies are making a lot of money off of hunters, and much of the time their products aren't needed.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:57 AM

you have to make sure it doesn't colect moisture
Old 04-09-2007, 10:10 AM
Spike

what happens when it collects moisture?? I was planning on using it during the early spring and summer where the plants are just coming back and the deer are recovering from the winter.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:58 PM
Typical Buck

I use it and have had great results with it. Watch putting it in your feeders, the BG will clog the spout, whether it is wet or not. I have seen deer dig a holetwo footwide and a foot deep where I put it on the ground. I live in southern, Indiana where the crops are plenty.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:57 AM
Spike

Not recommended for a feeder. It is rice bran and will pack easily and cake or clog with minimal moisture. Deer down here in Arkansas usually will not eat rice, but they love rice bran. It is the germ that is removed to make white rice. Brown rice still retains the germ.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:47 PM
Spike

oh really i just put out my new feeder with buck grub and some corn just to try it out. so it will cake it up easly? thats not good cuz i wont beable to check it after this weekend i will be gone.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:19 AM
Spike

NW, Adding the corn will reduce the chance of caking up. When they load the rice bran in hopper bottom grain trucks, they fill them to the level they want. When they get where they are going, it looks like half a load. It packs easily.

Quick Reply: Buck Grub

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.