Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Foodplot/practical use

Old 12-13-2002, 05:45 PM

Default Foodplot/practical use

Im looking to plant 10 to 15 acres in something I could also use for something other than just bringing in deer. Something for feeding stock possibly. Alfalfa doesnt really do well the ground is pretty poor. The deer being interested in it is primary. Any suggestions? ........thanks 1Buck
Old 12-14-2002, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Foodplot/practical use

Where are you located? How do you know the alfalfa does not do good? Have you done any soil samples? How much rainfall do you get? Do you have farming equipment?

Romans 10:9 Psalms 42
Old 12-17-2002, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Foodplot/practical use

This is a tough question to answer fully, and I understand where you are going. It would be great if we could plant a top end food plot, and make money off it, at least enough to cover the expense. You have a couple options, but most will only provide an attractant, or less than ideal year round nutrition plot.

That being said, Alfalfa or a red clover/grass mix is probably the most easy to sell, as hay or silage to a farmer. Just make sure you have a buyer lined up prior to planting, some farmers will not use red clover, etc. White clovers do not normally grow very tall, and its tough to convince a farmer its worthwile to harvest, it can be done, I've done it - but they would rather do alfalfa or red clover in my area.

Corn is also an option, and Ph only has to be 5.5-6.0 to grow well. Again, you may need to spray, and again have a farmer lined up to pick it (I assume you do not have a picker, maybe not a planter). There is good resale for picked corn in most areas.

Remember that when you plant a crop where someone else will harvest it, they must be assured that rocks are picked, and the ground level for their expensive equipment. The first time a neighbor farmer mows your hay, and takes out a blade with a big rock, you'll be all done.

Oats, Rye or wheat - are poor at selling, since they are so cheap to plant, and require a combine to harvest. Same goes for soybeans in most areas.

As you can tell, I assume you do not have much farm equipment. If you do, say have a baler, and haybine, then you are all set. Just get a buyer lined up.

Good luck