Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

buying land

Old 12-11-2002, 04:51 PM

Default buying land

Im tryin to formulate a plan for myself and one or two buddies to buy some land for hunting. Thought I would fish here for some links, tips, and tricks....or any other type of suggestions.

Lookin to buy sumthin close to 200 acres sometime in the next 5 years. Thought maybe some of you had gone thru this and could gimme abit of your hindsight on the couldves and shouldves on buying land by joining together with other people.

Of course if/when we get the land we will manage it for whitetail deer and turkeys.

** I almost got him but I refuse to take a marginal shot **
Old 12-11-2002, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: buying land

You've got one big advantage when buying land for wildlife: land that is almost totally useless for agriculture is OK for wildlife. It usually goes much cheaper than land which someone can economically farm.

Dan O.
Old 12-11-2002, 05:29 PM

very true

but I also dont wanna buy a 200 acre 'piece of the rock' LOL

probly look for sumthin about 70-80% woods of some type and hopefully not uphill in every direction haha

Old 12-11-2002, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good timber is actually a poor environment for deer since there is little undergrowth. Scrubby growth offers better santuary areas and food sources. Also; swamp (very cheap) offers a good water source.

Dan O.
Old 12-11-2002, 07:30 PM

Knobby,
I think Dan O. has some good points and It worked for me. When I went to get my land I bought a creek bottom full of big trees. I gave considerably less than what the land around it was going for because Cattlemen can't use it or don't want it. They prefer open pasture with as much available grazing as possible. Point this out during negotiations or better yet use a Buyer's agent like I did. Real estate agents will try to give you some load of BS about being able to fairly represent the interests of both parties but thats impossible because your best interests are exactly opposite. Another thing I looked for was mineral rights, the last thing you want is to have to allow somebody else on your land because he has the right to be there to check the oil or gas wells (he's not supposed to, but what if he keeps a rifle behind the seat ? This is more common than you might imagine). Overall I'm very pleased with the land I bought except for the neighbors and I guess I should have checked or something. Ideally they and all the other neighbors wouldnt hunt. Oh well just my 2 cents worth good luck. Now that I think about it if you read my post from the other day You'll know how bad the neighbors bug me. I think I would advise meeting the neighbors before making any offer since its such a major purchase and you'll be beside them until one of the two of you sells. Somebody once told me in real estate the deal of a lifetime comes along about once a week take your time try to think rationally and controll your emotions. Of coarse having said that there is a lot of emotion involved in a purchase like this. Good Luck Again.
Old 12-11-2002, 07:38 PM

Where are you looking for land?? and what do you want too hunt on it, strictly deer?

a piece of "the rock" isnt always a bad thing,, I want to buy a big piece of rock,, too bad the $700K price tag is way out of reach for me!
Old 12-11-2002, 08:34 PM

LOL yah 700k is abit much for me too !!

The land will be in SE Ohio ...mostly for bowhunting deer but probly some turkey too. As far as swampland and creek bottoms...well each piece of property is gunna have its good sides and bad sides. Timber can be very good if its oaks. Timber can be sold to offset the cost of the land for instance but I have no idea what timber is worth. What might a neighboring farmer pay to plant crops or cut hay on any fields on the property? Brush/scrub can be 100% inpenetrable. Any of you ever taken a stroll through a patch of multiflora rose in SE Ohio? LOL

I will not buy any property that anyone else has any kind of rights to...thats more the kind of tips I am looking for....pitfalls to avoid such as mineral rights. I can also forsee plenty of legal aspects in the mix when you get involved in a purchase like this with partner(s).

What is a buyers agent as opposed to a real estate agent?

Old 12-11-2002, 08:49 PM

Buy the property yourself. Too much could go wrong when you have several buyers involved. Maybe not now but if 5 or 10 years it could be a different story. Keep looking for the land you will find a good piece eventually. I searched of 3 years and had 2 deals fall thought before I got this one. It is 50 acres in ny. When you find the rite land jump on it or someone else will.
Eddie

P.S You can never have too much land!
Good luck
Eddie
Old 12-12-2002, 06:02 AM

Its funny what 2 miles of waterfront will do to the price of 591 acres! There is a parcel across the street(no waterfront) 540 acres that is $114K. Oh,, and that is that worthless canadian money im talking about!

Edited by - swampthing on 12/12/2002 07:03:16
Old 12-12-2002, 08:28 AM

A buyers agent is someone who works only for you and your best interests. Sort of like an attorney, you wouldnt want to have the same one as your adversary. When you are negotiating price and terms the seller is an adversary. A buyers agent's job is to get you the best possible price and terms. I have used one on 4 or 5 transactions now and I swear by him. Here's the website

http://www.fidelisbuyersvoice.com/

Quick Reply: buying land

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.