Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

food plots

Old 02-27-2007, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default food plots

Id like to plant food plots but nothing big kinda like 4ft by 4 ft with some salt blocks mineral licks etc no disks no tracktor just hoes rakes help for this coming spring would be nice

Old 02-27-2007, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: food plots

What kind of help are you looking for? My rake broke.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

Well where to start and end i hunt on farmers land thats planted so i cant plant on it second is i can only do field edges or inside field edges three its treed around the field so im limited to big plots etc. four im in st thomas ont canada. i have alot of deer as well as trespasers so i want the deer to stay by me. the deer feed all yr long in these fields but id like to feed them all yr long as well so im saying i need to use rakes hoes little water limited sunlight but light can be a factor if i go in with a saw and clean it up a bit.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:37 PM
Fork Horn

I wouldn't even consider planting 4ft x 4 ft plots. Not near enough room. You can make 1/8 - 1/2 acre plots using hand tools and good ole hard work that will work good, but I really consider 1/4 acre to be a minimum for me, and at that small acrage your kinda limited on what you cangrow effectively.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I have to agree with hillbilly on the small foodplots, this comes from personal experiance.
Minerals are another matter, you can put out salt licks, buck grub, and other attractants that can provide nutriants for health and antler growth.
Whats planted in the fields you hunt already?
Heres a pic of my attempt at a food plot, its an annual/perrenial mix of clovers and grains meant for whitetail in northern climates, problem is I've never seen a deer in it or evidence that they use it, even before the local crops start to come up, I'm planning on approaching the farmer and seeing if he will disc the corner for me, say 100' x 150'