Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Anyone used anything besides Plot Saver? >

Anyone used anything besides Plot Saver?

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Anyone used anything besides Plot Saver?

Old 02-12-2007, 09:33 AM

Default Anyone used anything besides Plot Saver?

We are going to start working on our food plots in the next couple of weeks and I am curious to see if anyone has used anything else to keep the deer out of there plots or if you have any ideas on how to.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Anyone used anything besides Plot Saver?

I tried hanging aluminum pie pans on metal electric fence post thinking the noise of the pans on the post with the shining aluminum would spook them out till the young grass had a chance to get established, but the deer and turkeys didn't seem to pay any attention to it.
A friend of mine said he would change clothes every afternoon and hang his sweaty work clothes in the plot. He would change the location of the clothes every night and he said it seemed to work, but it took a lot of visits to the plot.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:42 PM
Fork Horn

no, but i have used plot saver and it worked really for several days until the local dogs decided they liked the taste and chewed it up. the area im in has a huge deer pop. and the fact that it kept them out for even a few days is amazing. i've heard that a fertilizer called milorganite is supposed to repel them which would be nice if it worked since it kills two birds with one stone. do a search on the web and see what u come up with.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:29 PM

Heres what the milogranite website says about it for deer replellent.

http://www.milorganite.com/home/faqs.cfm#12
Is it true that Milorganite will keep deer away? There is information published in the common press and on web sites that state that Milorganite is a deer repellent. Milorganite is not registered with the US EPA as a deer repellent and cannot be sold as one.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

Yes but how are they going to know that you are using it for deer repellent. All that means is they can't advertise it as a deer repellent. If you keep looking you will find other info. I found an experiment report where a kid tested plants fertilized with milorganite and plants without it and found that it does repel deer effectively
Old 02-14-2007, 11:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Since Milorganite is composed of treated sewage sludge I shouldn't wonder why deer would be repelled by it, it sure repels me...
Old 02-14-2007, 02:28 PM
Typical Buck

I have not used this, but I have heard it works well. It's organic, so no residue to worry about.

http://www.imustgarden.com/