Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Plot Saver

Old 07-24-2005, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default Plot Saver

I was plannning on planting some clover next week & was wondering if anyone used this product. Will it work?
Old 07-25-2005, 04:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Plot Saver

I put in some Imperial whitetail clover, they didn't seem to hit it alot, until after the rifle season was over. I guess it was when everything else was all brown and dried up. then it got mowed down hard by the deer. It looked like someone ran thru it with a lawnmower. I'd reccommend it.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not a big fan of Plot Saver. I think it might work, but I think it would be more practical to spend the money on planting a larger plot.

There might be applications where you don't want the deer eating the plot until hunting season (like a small patch in front of a treestand) - but thats not the kind of management our group has been trying to practice.

There are other ways of protecting a young plot when its developing, like using a nurse crop (like oats or rye). Or plant a fall preferred plot like Brassica (rapeseed) if you really don't want the deer to eat it during the summer.

Just my thoughts on it.

Old 07-26-2005, 05:33 PM

I wondered about this stuff too. If you try it please put up another post and let us know how it did!
Old 07-30-2005, 08:50 PM
Fork Horn

I tried some and it did not work for us. I set up a scouting camera on the plot and got pictures of deer inside of the PlotSaver the evening after I sprayed it. I have to wonder if it would work if my plots were bigger. Maybe if you had a couple of acres and only protected one acre.

I had been trying it since last fall and hadn't seen any difference. That is why I put the camera up.

My plot was only about 1/2 acre and I tried to block off the center 1/3 of the plot and it didn't work.

John
Old 07-31-2005, 05:41 AM

I'd rank it just slightly ahead of ph meters. It didn't work for us anyway and I haven't heard many postive comments at all. On the other hand I have heard zero comments on ph meters other than an occasional one on a message board.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

I just installed the Plot Saver around a clover field that I plannted, When I go back up state in three weeks I will let you know how it worked. I hope it rains in the next couple of days becuse the corn that I planted in June, did not grow because of lack of rain