Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

QDM

Old 02-11-2007, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default QDM

Do any of you guys out therefallow any sort of a QDM program and if so Whatare the guidlines?
Old 02-11-2007, 07:42 PM
Spike

Default RE: QDM

We try to pratice it where we hunt, but it is pretty hard. We have access to about 150 acres of private land that is up next to about 1000 acres of public. And the public land gets pounded by gun hunters every year. Our guidelines are no yearling bucks and everyone takes one doe.

Old 02-11-2007, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah thats a tough spot. Pretty hard to have controled QDM under those circumstances.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Spike

Its acually worked a little in the last four years. We have taken a 5 1/2, 3 1/2, and a couple of 2 1/2 year old bucks. But some guys don't bucks every year, so thats the downfall.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

8 point or wider than it's ears. A lot of doe hunting. It has een 5 years since I started it and it has worked out great. It seems the deer a less spooky know. We are not shooting at the 1 1/2 year olds SO they aren't educated about hunting. That is the biggest differance I have since I started. Just remember any thing you do can help the deer population.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where my group hunts its about 200 acres of private land. The problem we face is that there are so many gun hunters around there it's very hard to practice it. We stick to taking 3 1/2 olds or better and does. For every buck we kill, we try to kill at least two does. Thats what the DNR tells us would be good because of the high doe population around here. My other spot that only my uncle and I hunt is also about 200 acres. This place is littered with does, I mean like 35-40 of them. All I have seen are 3 bucks, 1 six point with a lot of potential, 1 spike, and 1 nice 2 1/2 135" 10 that is just a fantastic deer. I know theres more bucks because my trail cam has picked up more but those 3 are the only bucks I say bowhunting and this is are first year hunting this spot. So I would say this spot has much more potential than my other spot. We shot 2 does and 1 numby buck by mistake ( oh well live and learn) there. I think QDM works and I have faith that over time it will pay off.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:12 PM
Fork Horn

While I only have 42 acres, I do the best I can.Harvest guidelinesare pretty simple, don't shoot yearling bucks. Unless you are out of antlerless permits, kill every doe that stands still long enough to put cross hairs on.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:19 AM

ORIGINAL: Bob S

Unless you are out of antlerless permits, kill every doe that stands still long enough to put cross hairs on.
Some times we are our own worst enemies. That really sounds like an well thought out plan.And it explains why Q.D.M. has so few supporters.

As hunters our words are as important as our actions ,not everyone considers the whitetail deer as the carrier of the plague or the cause of global warming ,some people actually enjoy seeing them ,hunting them & eating them .Your casual approach to the killing of such a great animal shows a true lack of maturity's & character on your part.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:59 AM

Our place is only 80 acres. But is the the most desireable 80 acres within miles, especially to a hunted deer. It is posted. There are ravines and gullies, lots of brush, oak treesand tall grass. Besides we have a feeder running 365 days per year. There is a good pond and food plots. We take onlyone or twodeer a year on the place. My son took a ratty 11 year old four point there last Thanksgiving Day. A12 point scoring 186 pointswas killed there in 2004 by a close friend using a bow. On 31 December, 2006;i saw the resident ten point that is a solid 160" deer: Glad that he survived deer season.

Except for old barren does, we have made no attempt to reduce the doe population, since i think that it is about right.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: motrin

That really sounds like an well thought out plan.

Your casual approach to the killing of such a great animal shows a true lack of maturity's & character on your part.
Considering the deer population where I hunt and the amount of cover for deer to avoid hunters, that is a very good policy.

I know a professional deer manager who had the same policy on his own property for an 11 year period. His deer population continued to increase as fawn recruitment went up.

Deer are prolific breeders and are very adept at avoiding hunters on properties with plenty of cover. Perhaps you don't know as much about whitetails as you think you do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.