Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Too much lime?

Old 02-03-2007, 07:40 PM

Default RE: Too much lime?

That is wrong. Manganese does nothing to lower soil pH. Manganese becomes unavailable at pH 6.2 and binds stronger with calcium as the ph goes up. Manganese should be put out if the soil tests low in Manganese but it WILL NOT LOWER pH.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: 308BLR

Well, about two weeks ago I spread 1200# of pelletized lime on my .75 acre plot. There was a big snow/ice storm predicted and I wanted to get the lime down before it hit. Everything went smoothly, but I got my soil report back from the extension yesterday and they said that my soil pH was already sitting at 6.5. If nothing else, I think that what I did just moved it a little closer to 7.0, but is it possible that it was too much?
Highly doubtfull you put the PH over 7.0. What really matters is the buffering capacity of your soil. Did your "extension" recommend a ammount of lime to bring the PH up to a certain level for your requested crop? I normally shoot for alfalfa requirements for P and K requirements and a PH of 6.8. Even if it takes several years to get there, if you can grow alfalfa, you can grow anything.

MY Ph was 6.4, and 2.5 tons of lime per acre were recommended to bring the PH up to 6.8. You did not over lime. This spring, disk the soil up before you plant, and plant anything your heart desires. Good job on the lime application and getting the soil test.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:53 PM

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. I can't wait for the ground to thaw out so I can finish prepping the field. Hoping to plant in early March.