Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Mossy Oak Biologic

Old 01-12-2007, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mossy Oak Biologic

ORIGINAL: ash2042

I was wanting to plant some sort ofa food plot and was thinking of using the biologic and wondering when to plant it. I am also open to other suggestions other than biologic if anyone has ideas. This will be my first attempt at a food plot so any advice is appreciated.
Bio-Logic is an entire company, not just a single product. You would have to be MUCH more specific to get the kind of replies that you seek. They offer dozens of different seeds and seed blends to cover year 'round deer/habitat management. I've seen some Bio-Logic plantings that deer couldn't seem to get enough ofwhile others that local deer didn't really want anything to do with. There are just so many questions you have to ask yourself about what exactly you want from your food plot(s). Are you thinking more of a nutritional plot to benefit your herd during the critical stress periods of spring and summer and help the bucks put on more antler and to better equip lactating Does? Or are you strictly interested in a Fall attraction (hunting) plot to hunt near during the fall and winter season?

There's just soooo much information available to you if you're willing to do a little research. I would suggest taking a serious look at a few books as well as the QDMA site. Their site is one of the most extensive for top quality products and info on how to begin your food plots and what you'll need to make'em happen. Also, check out their forums for pro plot advise. A great group of guys over there that are always very helpful. It seems that whatever crop you're thinking about planting there are several there that have tried it and can provide reliable/honest feedback. I also ask that you NOT simply ask about a broad general company like Bio-Logic but instead ask for specific seed blends you may be thinking about trying. From clover to oats to a brassicas mix, there's just a HUGE selection and so many options for you to consider.

For example, if you have previously untilled and unplantedground and you justwon't have the timeto allowthe lime and fertiler (that youWILL need to apply) to dotheir work to raise PH to a perfect level, then you WILL be limited to what you can plant this upcoming growing season. No point in spending top dollar on a clover or alfalfa mix when the PH is simply to acidic to allow the crop to grow. If this condition exists then you may only be limited to something like Bio-Logic's Green Patch Plus which is a brassicas, wheat, oats blend. This blend will grow just about anywhere with minimal tillage and minimal PH requirements.

There is much to consider to get the most from the planting you desire. Try to ask yourself specific questions about the area you hunt and what/when/where of your food plot(s). The more specific you can be with yourself and YOUR needs the more specific we can be about what we would plant on your property.

What kind of feedback can you provide us about the area you're considering planting? What size of plot(s)will you have? I love to help folks establish successful plots and would be glad to atleast hook you up with as much reliable info as I can. Anythingto get you headed in the right direction.

Best of luck to ya this season
Old 01-13-2007, 02:09 PM

I really don't know what I want. The field has been planted in buckwheat the last two years. There isn't going to be anything planted in the field this year. That is why I am able to plant a food plot. This year I would like to basically have the ployt more as an attractant or something to hunt over. If I see alot of deer activity this year, then next year I will try to plant a plot based more on nutritional value.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:11 PM

There's no deer in the Morgantown area anyway
I agree thats why I do most of my hunting in Preston Co. Although I have found a spot near the river in Morgantown.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Being as how this field is currently planted and growing buckwheat, then it's obviously very well capable of growing a different crop. What kind of planting equipmentdoyou have access to? If your resources and/or time are somewhat limited than about the easiest growing and lowest maintainence plantings that I know of are Forage Oatsor a Brassica/wheat/oat blend like Bio-Logic Green Patch Plus

Hereare some of my Forage Oat plots. They fill out quickly and the growth is explosive.

Here's a Bio-Logic Green Patch Plus plot that I blended with just a bit more of the Forage Oats. It tuned out extremely well this seaosn. All these plants were Fall planted around the first of Sept.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:13 PM

Thanks for the info Cornfed. I am going to have limietd equipment to use. That is the reason I am able to do the food plot. My grandam is selling her farm that my Dad work on and also selling all the equipment. My dad used the equipment to plant buckwhet at his house, well now he won't have any equipment. A small 4x4 Kabota tractor is all I will have.