Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

PGC BUCK STUDY (FH look at this)

Old 11-28-2002, 06:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default PGC BUCK STUDY (FH look at this)

Hey Sean;

There was an interesting acticle today in our local paper regarding the buck study the Game commission is doing and Buck dispersment.
You can go to the the PA game commissions web site and read the update. The jist of the article is how they are finding out how young bucks disperse to new habitat. To there surprize they are finding out that in agricultural areas the young bucks actually go further than "deep woods" deer. Some as far as 13 miles!!! It was also interesting to see that the mortality rates were much higher for agricultaral areas due to cars and hunting.

Read the article its really interesting...........

How is your season going thus far? Guess you have to love the colder weather and snow. Looks like we will have snow for the first day of deer season for the first time in 20 some years!!! Better than last year huntin in 60 degree weather. So far I have only got a doe with the bow...Passed on 8 scrubs thus far. Only saw one shooter that was too far away (and too dark couldnt even see my sights yet)

Greg
Old 11-28-2002, 12:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: PGC BUCK STUDY (FH look at this)

One study I saw said that 15 to 20 miles wasn't uncommon and that one tracked buck dispersed close to 100 miles, I think it was a mid-western state.....

Old 12-04-2002, 06:52 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-09-2002, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PGC BUCK STUDY (FH look at this)

Thanks Greg,

I copied it to my file on dispersment. I'm still facinated with buck dispersal, and every day I hunted this year, it was on my mind. Of the 5 bucks taken this fall on our property, only one was previously seen. I video-taped 17 different bucks prior to the bow season, and though we spotted a few of them, most disappeared by Nov 1, and an influx of 1-1/2 yr olds took their place. Especially spikes, and crotchhorns, which were almost non-existant all summer on our property. I passed up one spike 5 times, and about6 other small bucks.

The other night I saw one of the "good 8pts" I had hoped to take. He was still around, in the same bedding area, but only had one antler left, and a busted off G-2 at that. I couldn't tell if he'd shed the other antler, or lost it in a scuffle, but I passed him up. Hope he's a healthy 3-1/2 or 4-1/2 yr old next fall! I've got one more weekend of blackpowder (late season) hear to try to get a good one, if not, Is still had a great season - passed up more bucks than I ever have in the past, and took a good one (for me) in bow season.