Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

feeding deer in winter

Old 11-18-2002, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default feeding deer in winter

I hunt on a 150 acre tract of land with thick spruce forest and a 4 yr old clear cut in the middle. Deer density is very low. I'm thinking of putting out feed (corn or oats) this winter to possibly bring more deer into the area and help out the ones that are already there. I don't wish to hunt over the feed, just increase the overall population. The landscape is very rugged and not really conducive to planting a food plot. Is this a good idea or should I just let nature do its thing?
Old 11-18-2002, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: feeding deer in winter

borealboy; I would only feed in critical (abnormal) conditions. Otherwise you will make the deer dependant on you to feed every year. The MNR website has some good winter feeding suggestions and downloads.

Dan O.
Old 11-19-2002, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

thanks for the tip Dan O. After reading the MNR info it sounds like more trouble than its worth. Environment Canada is predicting another mild winter here so hopefully the population will be up next year.
Old 11-19-2002, 03:36 PM

Another thing to consider is the fact that feeding often results in high numbers of deer in close contact, and with CWD being the hot topic I would not recommend feeding stations. Food plots are one thing but actual feeding stations are another. CWD is one of natures ways of controlling the population naturally, but when unnatural variables are introduced, a natural process can be turned into a major problem.
Old 11-19-2002, 06:17 PM
Typical Buck

Isn't that the truth...

Romans 10:9 Psalms 42
Old 11-20-2002, 05:14 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-20-2002, 06:42 AM

im curious as to how much feeding he is talking about? if you dont do much then the deer probably wont care and nothing will change. if you field alot then the deer might become dependent on you,

propmahn
save the world, reload your brass

Old 11-20-2002, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

propmahn; in many areas of Canada the deer have to yard because the snow is too deep. The deer numbers are controlled not by overall food availability during the year but by food availability during the end of the winter. If you feed the deer, except under extremmely bad conditions more deer survive than the winter yards can handle. If there are too many deer in these yards the food supply runs out early and more deer die than should have. It isn't as simple as the factors that affect deer in the corn belt.

Dan O.

Old 11-21-2002, 11:34 AM

Dan.O could you explain what a "yard" is? ive never heard the term. and i didnt notice that he is up in canada, and you are right that does make a difference. here in indiana, the food is plentiful enough to support the deer, so if you wanted to attract them to an area you could throw down some corn and you would see them more often

propmahn
save the world, reload your brass

Old 11-21-2002, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

A yard is a small protected area that deer stay in during the winter months. Some yards will have a hundred or more deer within a few hundred acres. The deer use the small area because is has protection, food sources such as cedar, balsam fir and the most important reason is that they keep the snow trampled down. When the snow gets deeper than 22-24" the deer can't move easily and expend a large amount of energy just finding food. The problem with the yards is at the end of the winter. If the winter is long and the snow is deep the deer starve before spring.

As sad as it sounds, if you feed them in all but the worst winters there are so many deer that they will starve in a relatively easy winter. So if you start feeding, someone must keep it up every year. When the feeding is stopped large numbers of deer die. On top of this the over population destroys the young tree growth and more feed is required every year.

Ask Farmhunter about his field edge.

Dan O.

Quick Reply: feeding deer in winter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.