Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Too wet to lime

Old 10-19-2006, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Too wet to lime

I had a lime truck coming to spread 6tons lime for our spring food plot. The driver showed up, and said its too wet out to even attempt spreading my plot area. There's a downhill grade to the area, and he feared he wouldn't be able to drive back out. Even though we've had the local propane truck in there, and a Lime truck in 3yrs ago. I guess it wasn't as wet 3 yrs ago, but the ground is a solid hard packed base right to the plot area. I guess I can understand is concern. He says he'll see me in late spring/summer. Well so now I'm at let it go another yr, and plant in spring of 2008. I like to let the lime work its way into the soil over the winter months.Or does anyone think it'll be ok to do a fall planting in August. But I'm also afraid if I plant that late the deer will hammer it, and it'll not get the start it should. I was planning on planting Alfa rack, or clover. My soil test called for 4 tons acre for alfalfa. What do some of you more knowledgeable ones think. August plot or wait until spring of 08. I alreadly have a 1 acre clover plot in same general area now thats getting hit hard the past 2yrs.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:55 PM

Default RE: Too wet to lime

I wouldn't wait until spring. He should have no problem once it dries, and that shouldn't take four months! If he won't do it someone else would. I planted alfalfa and ladino clover thisfall and the deer devoured it. I planned on the deer eating some, but they really worked it over good! I am going to wait and see what comes up next spring. I planted two acres, and even got the grazing alfalfa, but they kept it eat down and I didn't get a good germination rate even with good rain. I am thinking about frost seeding some additional alfalfa and clover into a few spots. Good luck.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I'm in upstate NY, and we've been getting way too much rain this yr. So far Oct. has been about a total washout. West of me got 2ft snow alreadly. Come Nov. we usually start to get snow, and by Dec. forget it.
Your plot getting attacked is what I fear from a late season plot. I'd like to get it established, and through its first mowing, before the deer unload on it. The present plot was small enough I put the plot saver deal around it for the first couple months, mowed it, then let the deer go at it. That way I knew it was good and established, well rooted.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

could wait until ground freezes if it doesn't dry out (which isn't looking like a possibility with the potential 2-3" of rain predicted).