Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

seeding logging roads

Old 10-15-2006, 04:55 PM

Default seeding logging roads

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience or tried to seed logging roads and logging decks.

The property i just bought in chenango county new york was logged a few years ago and the propertyi hunt in bradford county pa was just loggedin september '06 (looks likehurricanekatrina hit it)

Anyway, both spots have logging roads that cover a lot of ground and i was thinking it would be a good spot to seed. Probably some type of clover mix (frostseeded) may be the best.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: seeding logging roads

My brother tackled the log trails on our fathers property. He didn't want to put a ton of $ into it, so he put down a few bags of lime, and seeded them with Whitetail Institutes extreme mix. Its growing, and he's gotten some game pics of deer, and turkeys using it. I wouldn't say its doing real well, but ok for what effort he's got into it. I think the main problem with log trails is available sunlight. Clover needs quit abit as it produces its own nitrogen. I'd do a few soil tests now, look into some different types of plants, and start making preparations now to plant in the spring. Mainly getting your lime down now, so its well into the soil by spring. Its cheaper to buy lime in bulk. Plus there are companies that will spread it via a lime truck. Or dump it for you to spread on your own. I know some places will even load up your pickup truck, and you can hand spread it by shovel. To buy it by the bag can get very expensive. I can get lime spread for about $36 a ton through a Co-op.It justall depends on the areas, and ph level looking at.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:55 AM

Its all about light. It can be the best soil, but without enough sunlight nothing will grow. If you have areas on the roads that get a few hours of sunlight a day - its definetly worth planting it.

The areas that don't , I would recommend just doing erosion control (water bars, etc) and let nature take hold.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:21 PM
Typical Buck

it might be worth checking with your DNR, they might be able to provide you with some seed. In the last few years our land got logged by the state, and the provided and planted red clover on our logging roads and the grouse really seem to love it. I even heard that the DNR has plenty left over and will get rid of it for free, but they wont plant it any more. Might be worth a shot. I plan on getting a hold of some more for the rest of our roads. hope this helps
Old 10-19-2006, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have seeded logging roads in Bradford County, PA as well with poor results. My best results came from a properly prepared field that had herbicide, lime, etc applied.

Where in Bradford County are you? I own a good size chunk near Canton.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:40 PM

when i was living in NC for awhile one of the game management areas had all of its roads planted with thick clover.... was one of the best ideas i had seen IMO for promoting health and growth......... did have to ahve fields or anything adn it could be seeded rather easily as well
Old 10-23-2006, 06:18 PM

SalCucco, I planted two new logging roads this past April with a 50-50 mix of Tecomate Bucks and Bosses and Pennington's Durana Clover. Both these products will tolerate some shade and lower ph's. As of last Friday they were lush green beautiful plots that the deer are utilizing. Take a soil test first and give it a try next spring. I'm very happy with my results. Antler Addict
Old 10-24-2006, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have done it with varied success (in same woods). Basically where it gets adequate sunlight & loweramounts of dead leaves, it has worked great. As the opposite gets more prevelent, there is nothing. Doesn't need sun all the time, just for a decent portion of the day. Where I messed up was planting grass with my clover. Little to no clover left (grass took over). I would go with all clover unless you can constantly mow it to keep grasses in check. Hereare thelinks to my pics from my project.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v737/bigchief/Woods%20Seeding%2001-02/

http://photobucket.com/albums/v737/bigchief/Woods%20Seeding%2003-04/

Old 11-16-2006, 06:40 AM
Spike

Jesus, you weren't kidding, Doughboy. That's some monster grass. Should have bailed it and made some money.

Are you still mowing? WHy not just roundup a trail through there and leave it tall? Deer probably feel pretty comfortable in that tall grass.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:28 AM

I plant logging roads trails all the time, If your soils test out higher than 6.5 ph I go with Alfafa with 6hrs of sun light max. Clover/ chicory any where I get 8hrs of sun light..And rye grass in filterd light areas....

Quick Reply: seeding logging roads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.