Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Where to start on QDM in Minnesota

Old 11-08-2002, 10:48 AM

Default Where to start on QDM in Minnesota

I have 160AC of excellent ground in East Central Minnesota and I would like to start applying some QDM principles to increase the size of our buck racks.

My area is a square 160 and has several meadows that can be cultivated for spring food sources. The area is 85% good timber with just about the right mix of oaks & swamps. The surrounding area is much the same, and it's heavy in agriculture. The deer herd has a plethora of corn & soybean & alfalfa to choose from.

The herd here is also BIG - we have an overabundance of does, fawns, and small bucks. I have stopped taking the young bucks and harvest only does now.

1) Where can I find info on 'what I should do' on our ground
2) Where can I find info on antler studies vs doe populations so I can try to convince my other guys to not take the small ones & start harvesting only does.
3) I've seen the QDMA - is membership there a benefit?

Thanks!

Aim small miss small
Old 11-08-2002, 01:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Where to start on QDM in Minnesota

The QDMA is by far the best deer management association you can be affiliated with. Their seminars are fact filled and well worth the travel time. Their magazines are very informative and the people at the QDMA are hunters that seem to care about their profession. Other than the QDMA magazines the Deer and Deer Hunting magazine is very good for management information.

Old 11-12-2002, 04:14 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-12-2002, 06:51 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-15-2002, 12:38 PM
Spike

Default RE: Where to start on QDM in Minnesota

I too second what Timbercruiser and BSK said. You will find the organization at the "top of the heap". So worth the membership fee, I joined as a Life member before the price goes up.

QDM is Managing Today for a Better Tomorrow