Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Brassicas Planting Dates and Tips?

Old 07-31-2006, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default Brassicas Planting Dates and Tips?

Whats up guys and gals!

I will be planting some Brassicas soon and was wondering if you might have some useful tips. It will be in the southern piedmont region of Virginia. I have all the bases coverd as far as lime and fertilizer, I thought maybe you guys might have some suggestions.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:15 AM

Default RE: Brassicas Planting Dates and Tips?

Here in Southwest Virginia we usually get a good frost by the first of October, but yours will be later. Based on past experience I would plant about a month before your historic first frost date. This year I am planning to plant some brassicas into my alfalfa and clover plot, and hope that they don't mature before the hunting season.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

in the North there is 2 schools of thought on brassica plantings:

1. Plant in Late spring ( June)-Allow plants to put put on as much growth as possible. Some varieties flower (this is not a good thing) you should mow the tops off when this occurs. Large Brassicas like Kale - canb get Hip-High come fall.

2. Plant in Mid July - You get the best growth - going into fall - without goining to seed. The leaves are young (less than 1 ft) and tasty - even before frosts - but plants are not as large.

When planting later plots of brassicas - its a good idea to put down a couple hundred lbs/acre 20-20-20 or similar fertizer. On more fertile grounds, just Nitrogen applications might be advised.

FH

Old 08-03-2006, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys, like I said I have all the basics covered. Just wondered if you had some secret tips that you cant get from the QDMA sites.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:21 PM
Typical Buck

buy a quart/pint of Select from a farmer. it should be $50/$25 at his cost. it kills grasses. you use 1/3 to 2/3 ounce per gallon for spot spraying, so a little goes a long way. it's sold by the gallon.