Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Thorn Apple

Old 11-02-2002, 05:26 PM

Default Thorn Apple

Thinking about planting some food plots in an old overgrown pasture. Have started to eliminate the buck brush. Need to know if its worth while to leave the thorn apple alone, or pull that also.

Old 11-03-2002, 07:21 PM

Default RE: Thorn Apple

i have thorn apple trees where i hunt, never seen a deer eat the small apples.but yesterday i did notice the ground under a thorn tree was all matted down by deer. i know grouse eat them so i leave some for other wildlife. they do produce alot of fruit and it never stays on the ground long. good luck
Old 11-06-2002, 10:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thorn Apples are are American Hawthorn - The fruit is extremely bitter and not usually preferred by deer in my experience. It does make good cover however, and if cover is a concern, I'd leave a few in the area. Birds like grouse do like it, for the seeds.

If planting a food plot, I'd leave a few for security, but pull the rest.
Old 11-07-2002, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just as farm hunter says. It will spread quickly through uncut fields so you should try to keep down in those areas. It's spread and effect would be similar to wild rose. It feeds some wildlife and provides cover but it's nasty to travel through.

Dan O.