Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Winter Wheat or Oats

Old 05-28-2006, 07:15 PM

Default Winter Wheat or Oats

I have a secluded 6 acre field that has been planted in corn or soy beans over the past 5 years. For unknown reasons the farmer that has planted my land these past 5 years has not planted it as of 5/27. Assuming it is too late for either crop I'm looking for advice or suggestions on a fall plot planting. Anyone have any thoughts on Winter Wheat, BF Oats a Brassica or any other good fall plot. I've never had to worry about this before and don't want a field of grass and weeds. Thanks in advance for your help.
Antler Addict
Old 05-28-2006, 08:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Winter Wheat or Oats

i've never planted oats before, but i've planted wheat. it's pretty easy. i just used one of those baby buggy type broadcast spreaders and pushed it around about half an acre. if you've got 6 acres, i would suggest you go by the grain elevator with a pickup, buy about 10 bushels of wheat (just have them dump it in the bed) and then use a leaf blower to blow it out the back of the truck while someone else is driving around. disk it in lightly, if you have the equipment. if you don't, you can cut down a cedar tree and drag it behind your truck to sort of work the seeds in.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

You should be able to get soybeans in as they are short time to maturity. Best grain I have ever planted as far as the deer practically licking the ground over them was Buck Forage Oats, I don't care for the brassicas.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:24 AM
Fork Horn

Proper advise would depend on where you are located.

If your area gets enough summer rain it is not too late for a short maturity soybean.

If you don't want weeds, you could spray the field 3 times with roundup/glyphosate now until fall planting.

Oats is a great fall draw, but usually dies over winter in the north. Winter Wheat is great too, and greens up the spring for double use. My personal favorite is fall planted white clover with winter wheat. I had great results with a $7, 50 lb bag of "feeder" winter wheat, came up great and the clover is looking awsome.

Old 05-29-2006, 09:20 AM
Fork Horn

Try a blend of winter wheat and oats. We have been doing that for the last three years and it has worked great. We plant it in August. The oats are a great fall draw and the wheat will still be there in the spring.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd call the farmer - maybe he has rotation plans for the field??

Could be the corn from the last couple years wasn't what it once was - and its time to build the soil up again.

FH