Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

New Brassica Blend???????????

Old 05-26-2006, 04:53 PM
Spike

Default New Brassica Blend???????????

My partner in PA called me and told me about a new brassica blend called Wintergreens. He tested it last year and was impressed. I think it was from the Whitetail Insitiute but I would like to pick it up locally this fall. If you have info let me know please.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:57 PM
Spike

Default RE: New Brassica Blend???????????

Otis, I talked with Ned White in Mich, he tested it last fall and he liked it too. Don't have anymore info but I'll call him and sendan email your way. I ordered it last week from Whitetail Institute. Just a couple acres for this fall. Hope it works.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:26 AM

Does anyone know what is in that bag? I just went to the WI website and that stuff is pricey. I usually plant purple top turnips and dwarf essex rape mixture. Sometimes I get my hands on some sugerbeet seeds or rutabagas to throw into the mix. The deer love it and its super cheep, which is nice if you have a snoopy wife the looks at your credit receipts..jk. This will be my 4th year planting turnips and the deer seem to eat them earlier and earlier each year. The first time I planted the deer did not eat until well after a few hard frosts. Now they eat them well before any frost.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:06 PM

If you have something that works and it's cheap why not stay with it? If the deer are hitting it earlier you may need to thin out some of the does, or try planting it about 45-60 days before the first frost. You may be planting it too early. I really like the brassicas that are in Shot Plot, and it's not real expensive.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:10 AM
Fork Horn

Called a buddy who sells Whitetail Institute stuff. He told me it's a blend of 4 ingredients. Looks like mostly experimental seeds. I'm thinking about adding 2-3 acres of a winter annual. My clover and alfalfa are doing great but I need something for later in the season. I'll let you know when I have it planted. I think about mid August is right time.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:48 PM

Seems the WTI is keeping a lid on what seeds they are using in the blend. The liture that I received in the mail states: "The secret to the unequaled attractiveness of Winter-Greens is that the main brassica varieties used in the blend have a genetic background of highly palatable vegetable-type brassicas. Because they are brassicas, the plants in Winter-Greens produce tons upon tons of high quality food and because these particular brassicas have a vegetable genetic background, Winter-Greens is ultra-sweet, resulting in a food plot that is far more attractive then the ordinary, straight-forage brassicas."

Too bad I already boughtthe Biologic Maxium Brassica seeds earlier this year, which people have praised for the last couple of years. Will try Winter-Greens next year next to the Biologic to see how it compares. Heck, you know what, I'm going to order a 3lb bag today that plants 1/2 acre and plant it this August to see.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:01 PM

I just bought mine on ebay for 27.99 + shipping. Cheaper than the whitetail institute website.