Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 7-30 Fall Planted Clover-Brassica Pics >

7-30 Fall Planted Clover-Brassica Pics

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

7-30 Fall Planted Clover-Brassica Pics

Old 07-30-2006, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 7-30 Fall Planted Clover-Brassica Pics

Today was a Work Day at camp. Several of us fixed equipment, mowed - and put in a fall plot.

The fall plot in the picture is a clover/brassica plot. We planted it today - July 30th. We started preparing the plot almost a month ago by spraying a mowed section of Pipeline - with Roundup.

This is how the section looked July 25th:

I highlighted the 3/4 acre plot - that was sprayed for planting:

In Hindsight - I wished I'd gone further up the hill - but this size planting should be good enough - its to be a "Kill Plot" - one that is narrow enough to hunt over with a bow - or from a distance with a Shotgun, BP, or pistol.

We disked up the dead sod - and planted a Mix of Imperial Whitetail Clover and their new Brassica mix - (winter greens). The plan is to have it be a brassica plot this fall/winter - and become a southeast facing clover plot for the next several years.

I was happy with the planting of the plot overall. If I had more time - I might have let the disked up plot sit for two weeks - then sprayed Roundup again - and then plant - but -7/30 is about as far as we wanted to wait for a fall brassica planting.

I plan to go back in a couple days and put down 200 lbs/acre of 15-15-15 and maybe some pelleted lime (though 6.0ph is probably pleanty).

FH

http://foodplot.blogspot.com/

[hr]

Old 07-31-2006, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 7-30 Fall Planted Clover-Brassica Pics

Looks good, I would put down @2 tons of lime for the clover
Old 07-31-2006, 05:34 PM

Default RE: 7-30 Fall Planted Clover-Brassica Pics

Nice looking location FH.

I also enjoy following your Blog. Keep us posted on results. My property is located in the southern tier, and the local farmer is having a rough time working on my plots due to the excessive rains. Haven't spoke to him in about 2 weeks, but need to check with him to see if we'll be able to plant my fall crops. Like you, planting clover, brassicas and some chicory.

Glad to see the rain hasn't effected you negatively on your "Work Day".

Rod.