Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Real stupid corn planting question.

Old 04-12-2006, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default Real stupid corn planting question.

I was just reading an article about brocasting seed corn. can you do this? I live in Minnesota and all I have ever heard about planting corn is that you need a corn planter, I have a old 2 row planter but its not that reliable. If you can broad cast seed corn, then do you broadcast fertilizer at the same time ? do you drag it our do you use a cultipacker. I have broadcast soybeans but never corn. How can I successfully do this. Thanks in advance. Stevie
Old 04-12-2006, 08:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Real stupid corn planting question.

if your field is like mine, the weeds will outcompete the corn. i think the reason for rows is weed control and being able to precisely plant a specific number of seeds per acre.

2 years ago i planted some human edible corn (for me and my girlfriend) in my dove field. i used no herbicides. the weeds competing against my corn was like mike tyson competing against a high school band student. this is when they were 6-10" high. it got worse after that. we had no edible corn.

if you can get atrazine, that would help, but i'm not experienced or licensed for it. RR corn may be another alternative for you.

best of luck.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

I broadcast Field corn last year and disced it in, it came up great. I did round up the area about two weeks prior to discing it and weeds did not seem to be a problem. I know they now have round up ready corn that you may want to check into.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can broadcast it get about an inch or two of dirt on it and run the packer over it, Try to plant RR ready corn so you can go out and spray it with a hand sprayer when it is about shin high, you will have a grass and weed problem, we are planting 3200 acres of corn and most of it is RR, btw we are planting with two 16 row planter, no broadcast here, work on your planter, get it working , and use it , it's the best option....
Old 04-17-2006, 08:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

As cheap as corn is, I don't see how you can plant 3200 acres and make money. Seems like you would have to plant3 or so rotating crops in case one didn't catch the right rain or something. Then again the farm land I saw in Delaware and Maryland looked very good.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Use a planter if possible - and apply 200 lbs/acre starter fertilizer in a band at planting if possible - most planters let you do this.

1/2 of the seed planted by broadcasting will not germinate - another 30-40% will not ear out due to competition with other corn plants.

A planter seeds at a controlled rate - and while broadcasting can work - but its not close tooptimum. Its an expensive option - but it could work if no other option is available and you really want corn.

FH
Old 04-18-2006, 06:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Timber we till 6000 acres we also have 1600 in wheat which will go in late soybeans in July, and we will plant about 1500 in early soybeans , we try to stay around 5500-6500 acres. but housing is taking a little each year and we have to go out and find more rental land..