Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What trees to plant?

Old 01-23-2006, 07:13 PM

Default What trees to plant?

I've been thinking about getting some trees and planting this year on our property (Rusk Co, Wisconsin) and want to know some ideas of what to plant. I'm looking for something that will provide food for deer in a short amount of time (3-5 years).

Some of the trees I've been looking into have been sawtooth oak trees, apple trees, persimmon, crabapple, etc. Probably some honeysuckle bushes, too.

Has anyone had any luck (or not had any luck) with any of those trees, and are there any other suggestions?
Old 01-24-2006, 03:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What trees to plant?

ORIGINAL: west_hunter21
Some of the trees I've been looking into have been sawtooth oak trees, apple trees, persimmon, crabapple, etc. Probably some honeysuckle bushes, too.
Wisconsin is too far north for sawtooth oak or persimmon to survive.

Apple and or crabapple trees work well, but need to be fenced for protection. It takes about 18' of fence for a 5' diameter circle.

Stick with native bushes and trees. People seldom want to plant oaks anymore because they want short term gains. [*]Oaks:[*]White Oak (Quercus alba),[*]Bur Oak (Q. macrocarpa)[*]Northern Red Oak (Q. rubra)
Dogwoods (Cornus spp.):
Pagoda Dogwood (C. alternifolia)
Red-Osier Dogwood (C. stolonifera)
Silky Dogwood (C. amomum)
Viburnums (Viburnum spp.):
Nannyberry (V. lentago)
Downy Arrowwood (V. Rafinesquianum)
Wild Plum
High bush cranberry
serviceberry

Stay away from non-native invasive species such as [*]Tartarian Honeysuckle (Lonicera tatarica)

Old 01-24-2006, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to disagree somewhat with sagitarius. I just looked at the growth zone of sawtooth oak and it will grow in parts (souther) of Wisc. However, it is a native of the Himalayan Mts. so you may want to see for your self if it will grow in the norther climes of Wisc. I have planted a few and will be planting many more (Central NY). They sound great for wildlife (acorns within 5-6 years, under ideal circumstances - i'll believe it when I see it). Also beware that it is listed as an invasive and can take over in certain circumstances. (I normally try and diswade people from invasives, but this one seems to have quite a bit of "upside" and is not mentioned as an invasive in all the literature).

As far as other species, sag has list many good ones. Try and match the trees to your soil types and site conditions for best results. And remember that the trees are food for the deer (other wildlife) once they are in the ground (either protect them or plant a lot of them).
Old 01-24-2006, 06:23 AM

Before you buy any trees be sure thay will grow and produce in your area. Find a zone chart and refer to your area. I planted crabapples, hazelnut, elderberry, sawtooth oak, pin oak, willow oak, pear trees, and Granny Smith apple trees on my place. The sawtooth and willow oaks died during a couple weeks of flooding. But, the rest are doing OK. Be sure to keep in mind the prevailing wind direction if you intend to hunt these tree plots.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:51 PM

ORIGINAL: 1sagittarius

Wisconsin is too far north for sawtooth oak or persimmon to survive.

Your not the first one that has told me that about the persimmon trees, but I read an article somewhere that a guy was having success growing the sawtooh oaks in the UP of Michigan--I'll see if I can find it again

ORIGINAL: 1sagittarius
[*]Oaks:[*]White Oak (Quercus alba),[*]Bur Oak (Q. macrocarpa)[*]Northern Red Oak (Q. rubra)
Dogwoods (Cornus spp.):
Pagoda Dogwood (C. alternifolia)
Red-Osier Dogwood (C. stolonifera)
Silky Dogwood (C. amomum)
Viburnums (Viburnum spp.):
Nannyberry (V. lentago)
Downy Arrowwood (V. Rafinesquianum)
Wild Plum
High bush cranberry
serviceberry
That's a really great list, and I appreciate your help! Do your (or anyone else) have any experiences growing these? I would really like to hear some success stories.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:21 AM

i live in north ms. and work with the forestry as a ranger. We plant a lot of sawtooth for wildlife and they work very good. The sawtooth takes about ten years to get big enough to produce a bunch of acorns, but they will start around age 5 getting a few. From what i can rember ya'll got lots of rock in the ground so i would get most of them out of the hole before planting,and the deer will rub them raw in the early part of the fall so you will have to protect them with wire fench. When the sawtooth tree matures they will draw deer,coons,squirrel and turkeys. Plant them on a 12x12 spacing or 10x12. If you can keep the weeds and grass knocked down around them they will grow alot faster and the wildlife will be able to find the acorns better. We use roundup to keep the weeds knocked back just don't get any on the tree leaves.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: west_hunter21
Your not the first one that has told me that about the persimmon trees, but I read an article somewhere that a guy was having success growing the sawtooh oaks in the UP of Michigan--I'll see if I can find it again
Could be he lives close to Lake Michigan and gets buffered from cold temperatures? Zone 5 might be pushing it a bit on tolerance. The southernhalf of lower Michigan is zone 6.

The sawtooth was introduced into the eastern U.S. around 1920. Its range of adaptation extends from north Florida to east Texas, through Missouri into southern New England. However, it is subject to winter kill in upstate New York and throughout the north slopes and higher elevations of the Appalachian Mountains, as far south as Georgia. http://espn.go.com/outdoors/conservation/s/2003/0416/1540064.html

Gobbler Sawtooth map provided... http://plant-materials.nrcs.usda.gov/pubs/kypmcbrquac80.pdf

It is unfortunate that those intent on improving habitats do not want to replant slower growing native oaks such as bur, white, red, ect.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

For planting :
Red-Osier Dogwood
and White pine -
Bedding and browse in Zone 3 & 4.

Also in the mix is volunteer Alder, buckthorn and Aspen - In the north you will not have to plant them - they usually show up in 2 years time.

If you leave a field Idle - it will become a "thicket" in 15-20 years.
If you plant it -with your preffered tree - you can cut the time in 1/2 - AND have the dominant tree of your choice.

FH

Old 02-08-2006, 03:11 PM

Ok, so after some further research...I think I've decided not to go with the sawtooth oaks--I'll maybe plant a couple in some protected areas, just to see what happens. Other than that, I'm definitely going to plant some apple trees, red & white oaks, etc.

Another thing I've been wondering is when should I plant these? right after the ground thaws?

Thanks again for the info/advice!
Old 02-13-2006, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Plant when the last snows are melting off - or just before greenup if you don't get much snow.

you may have to fence off young oaks and/or spray the grasses or mulch to ensure a good start.

FH

Quick Reply: What trees to plant?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.