Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What to plant for cover?

Old 12-13-2005, 03:58 PM

Default What to plant for cover?

I've decided to distribute white clover and alfalfa seed onto my already existing food plot. It came up OK last year when I planted it but with the dry summer it's patchy.

Between the food plot and a neighbors property i'm going to start a little crabapple orchard for the deer to feel comfortable in. There is about 50 yards between where I'm planting the crabapples and the property line. There's an opening in the trees on the line where the neighbors can see through into my field. What kind of scrubby tree or bush can I plant there so they can't see into my field? I don't want to put crabapple there for fear they will bowhunt over them. Any suggestions? I thought about bamboo but its just too hard to get ahold of.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What to plant for cover?

Polars, willow and sumac are quick growing. Pompas Plume ornamental grass will grow 6-8' ft high in one season.

Dan O.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

corn is a good screen - so would be Sorghum.

If its a permenant screen you want - then I like Dan's Willow chioce. Willows are tough (black willow)- they don't grow too tall, the deer will not eat them and they make great rubbing trees. They like wet soil - but will grow in dry too.

Old 12-15-2005, 04:10 AM
Dominant Buck

I thought about bamboo but its just too hard to get ahold of.
Bamboo isn't all that hard to find , but most of it's cultivars are extremely invasive unless contained in some manner . There's also a huge variety in the bamboo family , although most won't grow well outside a tropical to semitropical environment .

Old 12-30-2005, 10:50 PM

ORIGINAL: kevin1

I thought about bamboo but its just too hard to get ahold of.
Bamboo isn't all that hard to find , but most of it's cultivars are extremely invasive unless contained in some manner . There's also a huge variety in the bamboo family , although most won't grow well outside a tropical to semitropical environment .

there are a lot of cultivars and specie of Phyllostachys that can be grown in even a zone 4 tolerance and which do not need a sub-tropical or temperate climate to thrive in. For instance, Phyllostachys aurea can survive temps to -15 degrees, with a root hardiness to -25 when mulched. There are even smaller, bamboos like Pleiobastus that can survive 0F, and are not invasive at all. Remember, there are 3 forms of bamboo- upright running, upright clumping( that do not shoot out creeping rhizomes or stolons), and lowland creepers. I would not advise pampas grass, Cortaderia s., as a ornamental grass to grow. Even in colder climates, you have the problem of growing invasive patches throughout the property. I would suggest ornamental grasses like Miscanthus sinensis ( a world of cultivars as well), Sorghastrum nutans, panicum virgatum and its cultivars, and others to replace any idea of Pampas grass. There is always a list to help you with your selections, and my door is open.

Hey Dan, did you mean Poplars as in Populous tremuloides (Quaking Aspen)? If so, good choice. If not, what is a polar?
Old 12-30-2005, 11:33 PM

I assume you need this sight barrier for the fall and winter, when you hunt, correct? Well, those trees are doing little for you then once the leaves drop. A row of evergreens like blue spruce grows real quick, and has cover year 'round. A less expensive cover that still gives you some sight barrier in fall and winter thats cheap is corn, left standing. Thats what I do here in western NY.