Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What type of apple trees

Old 10-02-2002, 01:49 PM
Spike

Default What type of apple trees

I noticed on the way to my farm that there are a lot of apple trees that are full of big red apples. There are a few on the ground but not many have fallen yet. I live in Central KY and was wondering if any of you might know what type trees these are. I want to plant some apple trees on my farm but not sure what type or variety would be best. The ones I have been seeing would be great as they would last well up into the season. Any of you have any ideas?

Thanks,
Strutter

Old 10-02-2002, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What type of apple trees

Big apples? Like as big as your two fists together? Maybe Wolf Rivers.
Old 10-02-2002, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would guess that they are Spy apples but I need a picture for a positive ID.

Dan O.
Old 10-02-2002, 06:41 PM

If the trees are old, they may be Red Romes. It's an older
variety, known for its firmness and it keeps real well. it
is a great baking apple.

Old 10-02-2002, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think Dan & Russ are on the right track. Spies (winter apples) stay on the tree a bit longer, and are not as sweet (harder too), as many other apples. Good for late season hunting.
Old 10-03-2002, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Strutter; if you like those apples and want more why don't you grow some standard apple root stock and try your hand at grafting? Or you could contact a local nursery to graft some of your scion wood on their rootstocks. If you want a dozen or so trees it could be cheaper than buying.

Dan O.
Old 10-03-2002, 04:06 PM
Spike

I was just wanting to put some apple trees out on my farm specifically for wildlife. If the apples fall during deer season then that would be great. Our season starts in mid September. I had planned on going to Lowes or Wal Mart and buying a few and put them out when they get more in next spring. I really hate to spend a whole lot of money on them due to me possibly not getting to the farm often enough to care for them properly. What is a good hardy variety that is readily available? Also, how long does it usually take for a tree to produce? Do you have to have 2 different varieties for them to pollenate?

Thanks,
Strutter

Old 10-03-2002, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I put out MacIntosh, Empire, Cortland, Delicious, Ida Red and Spy. This gives me apples from mid September to late October. Two varieties are enough if they have blossom overlap. (Don't worry about genetics unless you plant Mutsu) If you plant semi dwarfs, you expect to wait 5 years for reasonable crops. Don't wait till next year for the trees. The time to get a bargain is now, from local nurseries. The most important thing (unless the deer feed on them) is to multch the area around the tree for 3 ft out from the trunk and put on a good trunk guard. Otherwise the grass will prevent good growth and the voles or mice will girdle the trees.

If you have deer problems either hang soap or make a deer enclosure out of chicken wire.

Dan O.
Old 10-04-2002, 01:20 AM
Spike

Thanks for the info DanO. I have looked far and wide for a tree around here lately. Can't find anyone who has any but will keep looking. Thanks again.

Strutter

Old 10-04-2002, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you have any commercial orchards near you ask them where they buy their trees. Some nurseries that supply the commercial orchards sell potted trees to extend the planting season. Otherwise they will supply grafted, bareroot whips in the spring. I been buying 6' potted trees for $10 Can ($6 US) for my plantings this fall. Alternately you could ask the retailers near you where they are buying their stock and cut out the middle man. The department of agriculture should be able to supply you with a list of local growers.

Dan O.