HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New At This. Any basic help?
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2005, 12:50 PM
Wudayanuts

Default New At This. Any basic help?

I'm closing on 140 acres next month. The land use to hold cattle 25 years ago but has since grown up. Turkeys & deer rule and there are quality, protected, fields located on the property. Good thick cover surrounds these open areas destined for foodplots. My main food plot areas are four 1-2 acre, kidney shaped plots located end to end from one another. They are fairly thin with great cover all around. Here are my list of questions (bear with me. I'm ignorant to farming but willing to learn):
1. A used tractor. All I need is something to bush hog and put down food plots. Any general size need/limits? Any recommendations?
2. Implements for the tractor. Recommendations on a bush hog and ANY other equipment I'll need for the food plots?
3. Next year's spring/fall planting. General times of the year (KY) to seed? If my goal is holding deer and increasing antler size/doe overall health what are recommendations on the food plots?
The soil is very fertile and had at one time grown quality tobacco but hasn't been raised in twenty years. The fields have simply been bush hogged and maintained for years on end w/ nothing specifically grown in them.
Any insight is greatly appreciated.