Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Corn - Pics of 2 Nitrogen requirements >

Corn - Pics of 2 Nitrogen requirements

Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Corn - Pics of 2 Nitrogen requirements

Old 08-15-2005, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Corn - Pics of 2 Nitrogen requirements

I like to post my mess ups as well as my "good plots" for people planting different plots. I know I learn more from the mistakes I make than the good plots that I make, so here's a good one.

We planted several different corn plots this year - but the ones pictured here were planted the same day (May 25th) and both got 200 lbs/acre 15-15-15 sidedressed.

One plot was a first year corn planting - on an old clover field that went to grass - (Sanctuary Plot). The other Plot has had corn for the last 4 years (cabin field plot).

I knew the cabin field plot should need more fertilizer - than the other plots. We are trying to stretch one more year out of this plot for corn (last year was great). I had planned to sidedress in early July - Urea - BUT - messed up - and missed it (ran out of time) - and missed the second spraying and did not apply a second fertilizer. Actually I missed the second RR spraying & fertilizer applicationfor both plots pictured below - but the "sanctuary plot" had mostly grasses - and Roundup did fine with one application. The "Cabin field plot came back with alot of RAGWEED - that I should have taken out.

As a result - The cabin field plot is low on N and has more competition. In the pictures below its evident in thepictures - check it out:

Even the yellowish "cabin field plot" will get ears - and serve a pupose - but its not successful plot compared to past plots. The "sanctuary plot" is in contrast very healthy - In picture#1 you can see both plots.

FH
Old 08-16-2005, 12:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Corn - Pics of 2 Nitrogen requirements

Sean, you might have a little magnesium deficienct as well in the plot in question. Did you try the epsom salts on the beans and did you notice the big difference in them greening up...
Old 08-16-2005, 12:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Corn - Pics of 2 Nitrogen requirements

Hey Farm, looks good!