Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
Update - Corn as winter plot in NY (pics) >

Update - Corn as winter plot in NY (pics)

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Update - Corn as winter plot in NY (pics)

Old 02-01-2003, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Update - Corn as winter plot in NY (pics)

I realized that my pictures are a little large, so I put most of them in the post as a link - just click the line to view.
Today is Feb 1 2003 - a good time to check the progress, and deer use of the corn Plots we planted for the deer to have available this winter. As many of you know - this year has seen abundant snow, and record cold in our area ( 120"+ snow & 10+ days below zero). We count on our food plots, corn especially, to get our herd throught the winter.
The key, we've come to understand, is CORN, left standing - especially when the snow is deep.
I was not surprised to find alot of use in the first 2 acre plot. Even though the snow is 3 ft+ deep, you could walk up and down the rows in sneakers, because of the deer trails up and down virtually every row. A couple pictures follow:

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/...5_000_0085.jpg

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/...4_000_0092.jpg
The next field is our large corn - plot, between 5-6 acres in size. This is where the bulk of the deer we have feed in the winter, but today was a different story. The corn acted like a "snow fence" and the snow built up in the plot to 4-5 ft deep in many places.
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/...8_000_0096.jpg

Sure, there was some deer sign, and two deep trails leading to the plot - but it was obvious that the deer had depleted the corn above the snow line since my last visit on Jan 1 - when the snow was only 2 ft deep. I'm sure there is corn under the snow, and digging by the deer confirmed it, but its tough to get to. You could tell that the large Wintering herd we usually have was not here recently. Also to give you an idea of how deep the snow is, there was a flock of 20-30 geese in the standing corn field When I approached they flew off - You would NEVER see this if the corn was higher than 2ft above the snow line.
The next picture shows the 4-5 acre clover plot in the distance behind the corn plot. The deer have stopped digging to get to the clover - the use of energy no longer makes it worth the effort.
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/...2_000_0101.jpg I took a quick walk into the old "apple orchard", which flanks this field, and it was clear that deer were spending alot of time browsing on the limbs here. I didn't think to snap a pic, but should have. The deer can reach higher into the branches than normal, and were taking advantage of it. I did not go into the thicket, because I did not want to run the deer off, I knew were there. The deer are trying to conserve energy, and spooking them out can cause peril, if they are caught out of their trail network by coyotes or dogs.
Speaking of Coyotes, I found their tracks all around our cabin, and under, apparently hunting the rabbits that live there.
A quick note about my thoughts from today: The shuttle crashed, and It was heavy on my mind as I went to check the fields - I was reminded of 1986 and the feelings I had. Also, the spector of war in Iraq, is on my mind. Deer, Snow, rabbits, coyote and corn should be far down on the list of thoughts - Yet I find them THAT much more important. Why? If you are reading this post, you understand, Don't take your time on earth, and privalege to be in the USA for granted.

Edited by - farm hunter on 02/01/2003 23:07:25

Edited by - farm hunter on 02/01/2003 23:08:53
Old 02-02-2003, 06:54 AM
Spike

Default RE: Update - Corn as winter plot in NY (pics)

Great pics. farmhunter. Wow the deer sure have it rough up your way with the combination of the extra deep snow and the very low temperatures. Now I can see why you do not use soybeans for a winter plot as they would be buried under several feet of snow. Looking at the way the snow blew into the corn it may not be such a bad idea to use native grass atleast on the up wind side of your corn to keep the wind from blowing the deep snow into the plot. Thank god for the deer,corn, and the good old USA. Sadly I think your right as we alot of times dont realize how good we have it.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sean you are right it is a tragedy, but we cant ldo anything for them now except mourn and that we will, we can concentrate on other creatures of the Lord needing oour help. I admire you for leaving standing corn, so many farmers plant it for the deer ,the harvest every ear of it for cash crop and by the first of Nov it's gone, they need the food now. I know we grow over 3,000 acres of corn and all that we leave iswhat we are compelled to leave on State wildlife ground we rent, the balance we need to pay expenses.,You have a lot of snow around Syracuse, I lwent through there once enroute to Old Forge to snowbile...
Old 02-03-2003, 10:33 PM

Farmhunter, You have, once again, posted some outstanding pictures. The corn looks terrific. You have a lot more snow than we do here. The deer are still able to get at the clover and alfalfa. Am getting anxious to hear the how-to corn story. what variety, etc... thanks for posting your pics.... terry

LIVE FREE OR DIE
Old 02-04-2003, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

farm hunter; you're experience sharing is great for anyone who reads these posts. It sounds like you've created a winter deer yard on your property. It'll be interesting to see if that many deer cause damage to the vegetation that you've built back up.

Dan O.
Old 02-04-2003, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lawnfarmer - I'll be posting the Corn "how to" soon -
I'm getting the information together now.

Dan - As far as creating a yard, not really - unfortunately, its always been a deer yard in the winter, whether we had crops or not. The property, and lands adjoining it make two "v" shaped North/South valleys, where the tree cover is mature hemlock. The deer can get out of the wind, and are afforded some thermal cover. In years past (some 1970s, 1980s, and less so in the 1990s - we had a few major die offs in bad winters here.).

The past few years, we've had some food to offer in winter - and its made a difference, along with taking more deer. We we still get some localized overbrowsing of cover especially near the food plots - but overall, the last few years, the browse potential has bounced back.

I look forward to searching for sheds this spring.
Old 02-05-2003, 05:46 AM
Typical Buck

Farmhunter,

Is it possible, or maybe you already do, to make some rotational clearcuts in and around your thermal cover to allow for multiple ages of browse to be available throughout the winter time? In some of the deer yards around here, they have taken old-age cedar that produces great thermal cover, but little food, and made clearcut strips through it to keep thermal cover, but provide food throughout the entire winter.

They don't do it around here, but you can fertalize the strips to double the nutritional value and growth to provide great winter browse.

Great pictures, and I'm looking forward to the corn "how-to" comments!

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan