Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Tree Stumps?

Old 08-15-2005, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tree Stumps?

Ditto what timbercruiser said. That would be your best bet for sure. I'd spend the $ and have someone do it now, rather than later.

If for some reason you feel you can't do that, and you don't plan on ever doing it....dig down around them and take a chainsaw and cut them flat with the ground so you can at least mow over them. Of course you'll still probably not be happy next time you go to work that plot up. Good luck.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:29 PM

I have been told that if you drill some holes in the stump and then pour some 2 % milk in that the bacteria will eat the stump down after awhile. I've never tried it myself but my uncle swears that it works. All it will cost you is $2.50.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:25 PM

You may want to check into someone who has a stump grinder.You may have to dig up some of the roots that are close to the surface or you may catch your plow on them.If the area is accesible with a tractor or truck then you can be in luck the stump grinder can get them out in one day.I would probably keep one fo them larger ones to put some type of stump molassses or salt on them the deer will tear it up in the long run and the rotting stump is added fertilizer in the long run.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:22 AM

I had great luck with a bag of charcoal on them...light the entire bag and let it go...few weeks later do it again. You will be amazed