HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Tree Stumps? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/108677-tree-stumps.html)

Medic 08-12-2005 02:19 PM

Tree Stumps?

Can someone help me with a sugestion on how to get rid of tree stumps. They are WAY WAY to big to pull with tractor, truck, or ATV. I am planting around them this year but would like to know for next year.

Iron Archer 08-12-2005 02:27 PM

RE: Tree Stumps?

I have read several articles about using high nitrogen fertilizer on them. It works for me cause I cant burn where I live.

Just drill some holes and use something like 30-0-0 which is what I have used in the past. It does the same thing as Stump Rot products and its alot cheaper. I bought a 40lbs bag of 30-0-0 at Home Depot for about three bucks.
After you put the fertilizer in the holes add some water. Keep in mind it wont happen over night . The nitrogen is what speeds the decomposition process.

Good Luck

Medic 08-12-2005 03:18 PM

Can I start the process now or shouldI wait until after deer season. I want to hunt this plot come october.

bspencer 08-12-2005 03:20 PM

just pour some deer cane or stump block topper on it and let the deer eat it down this season!

Medic 08-12-2005 03:28 PM

The plot will be around an acer in size and there are 30 or more stumps. mostly hard woods Oak, Cherry, Maple, and a few Pine ranging from 18 to 30+ inches across. Don't think the deer are that hungry. LOL

Iron Archer 08-12-2005 04:53 PM

I would imagine it wouldnt hurt to do it now. The deer probably wouldnt go"hey, this guy put fertilizer out to try and kill us!"

Or they might actually say that! lol

Hunter06FlKy 08-12-2005 06:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Iron Archer

I would imagine it wouldnt hurt to do it now. The deer probably wouldnt go"hey, this guy put fertilizer out to try and kill us!"

yeah you never can be too sure. lol. i would pour some salt or malasas on there and let the deer attack it and then if it's still around i would try the fertilizer in it.

Iron Archer 08-13-2005 07:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Hunter06FlKy

ORIGINAL: Iron Archer

yeah you never can be too sure. lol. i would pour some salt or malasas on there and let the deer attack it and then if it's still around i would try the fertilizer in it.
Yup, thats a pretty good idea too. its amazing what a little malasas can do.

RonM 08-14-2005 07:23 PM

Pour a bag of water softener salt on them and put a salt black on them, the deer will tear them up in a few years and they will eventually rot off...

timbercruiser 08-15-2005 07:23 AM

Go ahead and get a backhoe or excavator and get them out of the way. First time you hang a disc or bushhog on one of them you will wish you had of made the investment.