Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 2005 corn/soy plot pics - UPDATE 8-17-05 >

2005 corn/soy plot pics - UPDATE 8-17-05

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

2005 corn/soy plot pics - UPDATE 8-17-05

Old 08-01-2005, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 2005 corn/soy plot pics - Progress

An update on the corn & soybean plots - from 7-31-05

The year has been really HOT- 20 days already over 90 degrees (last year 1 total) - so the corn has grown really well with the heat. The old timers say you can "HEAR IT GROWING" on these hot humid nights!!

The early planting is all tassled now - and the ears are developing. The Soybeans planted at the same time (Early May) have just made canopy stage-

Ron - this picture is for you - we are liking the 15" rows!

also:

The second Corn plot is about 2 weeks behind - but is starting to really come on now:

The soybeans show signs of heavy deer usage - and the corn has been pretty much untouched.

I'll post updated pictures in a couple weeks - I do it anyways to compare different plots from year to year - and I think the pictures can say more about the plantings than I can probably describe.

Hope you enjoy!

FH
Old 08-01-2005, 10:31 PM

sweet set up FH!
Old 08-02-2005, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looking good as usual FH!

Now we want to see some results this fall, for all your hard work (150" or better would be preferred...and I hope your on my team) [8D]

Seriously though...I know you have been putting alot of effort into improving your habitat over the last few years. How do you think it has worked out for your herd overall? Have you noticed a big improvement?
Old 08-02-2005, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WV Hunter

Looking good as usual FH!

Now we want to see some results this fall, for all your hard work (150" or better would be preferred...and I hope your on my team) [8D]

Seriously though...I know you have been putting alot of effort into improving your habitat over the last few years. How do you think it has worked out for your herd overall? Have you noticed a big improvement?
yeah definately
Old 08-02-2005, 12:21 PM

Looks awesome. I got to keep telling myself not to already be looking forward to spring to try this setup on the 30acres Im opening up. Cant wait though.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

See FH the 15 in rows fill in pretty well and you didnt even have to go buy another planter, who cares if they are not precision perfect, we did it that way a few times before the 15 in row planter came along....
Old 08-02-2005, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

WV - I wish I could say that we are all taking 150 class bucks on our 200 acres - but alas - its not the case. We have 6 hunters that hunt seriously - and we all would have little trouble taking "any buck". What we've done is given ourselves agood chance at a 2-1/2 year old buck and a reasonable chance at seeing and possibly harvesting a 3-1/2 year old buck. Our area overall is hard hunted - with "big bucks" by Illinios standards not around. We have improved our herd - and harvest YES - Still - if we could sign up the neighbors - things would be even better.

I cannot complain though. Every year we have a 120-130 class buck or two around - I enjoy trying to get the pictures of them on the Cam as much as hunting them.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure if many are intersted in seeing the updates - but I thought I'd post the mature plot pics for those that checked in.

The Heat has been really good for the corn & soybeans. We tried one and 2 sprayings of Roundup - and the 2x sprayed plots did much better - some could probably have used 3x - but not for deer I think.

Anyhow - here are pictures from today - the deer are about 75% keyed in on the soybeans over the clover and neighbors alfalfa fileds.

Thanks for looking - hope you enjoyed it.

FH
Old 08-18-2005, 08:35 AM
Fork Horn

Keep'em coming, man! You're my hero!
I look forward to the day my plots look like yours.
Brian