Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Plot failure -

Old 05-24-2005, 08:49 AM

Default Plot failure -

Well- I posted a while back about my clover not getting off to a great start - So I tilled it up and started over with Whitetail extreme - The extreme is not doing very well either - Not sure exactly what is going on - We have had adequate moisture- Seems the weeds are getting a real jump start but anything I plant does not do so well - My alfalfa and clover plots are thriving and being used regularly - Not sure what is up with this area - Might try some alfalfa in there this fall - I never seem to have very good luck planting in the spring for some reason -

Mike
Old 05-24-2005, 09:06 AM

Default RE: Plot failure -

Mike.....slow down!!

You should have "frost seeded"...that means broadcast spread the clover in late feb through about 10th of March or so.

Clover will germinate slowly...and over a couple years...so dont get all to in a hurry. Spread about 40-50 pounds pf pelllime in that area...you will be amazed at the difference.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:20 PM

Default RE: Plot failure -

I know it's a stupid question but did you get a soil sample? I remember the post about the clover and now the extreme isn't growing I think something is up. The extreme is supposed to grow to a ph of 5.4.

If you tink you're going to till it over again I would sample the soil and my personal recomendation would be to try some Imperial Powerplant if you're interested in an annual. The beans like a warm soil so itshouldn't bee too late to get it in the ground. The deer in the northeast really took a likeing to it.