Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

PAW PAW

Old 05-13-2005, 11:08 AM

Default PAW PAW

I wanted to know if anyone else has these trees on their property, and know if the deer like to eat the fruit. I have done some searchs and found mixed reviews.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:18 AM

Default RE: PAW PAW

Got some, but never found any fruit on them. I have heard that deer and a host of other animals love them. Maybe that's why I can't find any fruit.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:33 PM

That could be!

I will be planting a few trees this weekend, so I hope that the deers like them. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

I will be praying.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Plant a few extra for yourself. You need carrion flies to pollinate them and get fruit so it isn't a bad idea to dump some roadkill near them.

Dan O.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

I guess you learn something everyday. I had not heard about the flies. How did the little sawtooths make it through the winter?
Old 05-14-2005, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Even the ones that the rabbits chewed down are budding. The trees are just starting to put out leaves in our area.

Dan O.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:35 PM
Dominant Buck

For those who never seen them before,

Old 05-15-2005, 09:03 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Dan O.

Plant a few extra for yourself. You need carrion flies to pollinate them and get fruit so it isn't a bad idea to dump some roadkill near them.

Dan O.
So bees and other insects have no interest in them ? I'm considering planting some myself and you can get a synthetic bee pheromone to increase pollination probability . It just seems to me that other insects such as bees and bumblebees might do the job as well .
Old 05-15-2005, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smell the flower when they're blooming. They don't have the fragrance of roses. The Paw Paw appears to have gone in a different route to get pollinated. They attract carrion flies which love the odour. It's just like orchids, water lilies and many others. They've all developed to use certain insects (other than bees) for pollination. Nut trees don't use insects, just the wind. You could hand pollinate.

Dan O.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:11 PM

the deer eat them as fast as they fall from the tree. Also if you plant them, for the first 2-3 years they need some shade from higher canopy trees.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.