Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

food plot mixture

Old 05-19-2005, 08:23 AM

Default food plot mixture

I have some land in northern wisconsin and this last year I planted a mixture of clover,rye,rapeseed and turnips. They mowed down the broadleaf plants. This year I'm thinking about making my own mixture. Rape seed, Kale, rye, clover and maybe norcen trefoil. I have to do a little more research on the trefoil but was wondering what the opinions where. I plan on bowhunting on this this fall. During gun season we stay away from the plot. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Rich
Old 05-19-2005, 09:05 AM

Default RE: food plot mixture

Rich, I mixed my own mixture as well last year. I went to a feed mill in Ladysmith Wi and they had all kinds of seed for food plots. I used 3 types of clovers, birdsfoot treefoil, chickory and turnips. they hit it all but the turnips really went fast. This year I'll leave the clovers growing where they are and I'll open a new plot with just turnips in it . Most of my plots are just trails I made with my tractor and disc. That's what I'll be using for the turnips this year. I do have a acre and a half I had cleared but right now thats in clover. Next year I'm going to scrounge up some 75 day corn and maybe put in half an acre. Where are you in northern Wi ? I'm just out of Winter Wi., we're between Hayward and Park Falls. Get your own mixture, I was told by a guy at the feed store in West Bend that in alot of cases the big names food plot companies are mixed locally and that they just get the bags from the companys. True or not I don't know, but buying something from Tenn or Ga. makes no sense in northern Wi. Good Luck and keep us posted. Brad
Old 05-19-2005, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

Trefoil is kinda like a hardy alfalfa, it tolerats lower PH's and drought better than clovers, though it is not as prefered/palatable by deer as white clovers. Trefoil is slow to establish and does not tolerate competion, but as a backup insurance it is a good addition to any clover/legume plot you plan on maintaining for 3-5 years.

The secrete to foodplots is not in any seed mix .... it is in your soil quality, prep, and maintance of the plot.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:57 AM

Thanks for the information. I learned that lesson of soil prep through a friend last year. We fertilized and limed and he didn't and there was a huge difference. I agree that soil preparation is key but it is nice to here what people have been successfull with also. Have either of you ever planted kale? My uncle claims that it is in most of the "deer mixes". I'm going to look into it some more and hopefully find something on it. Thanks for the help.

Rich
Old 05-21-2005, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

kale is a brassica - like turnips, rape, beets, and even broccolli. The deer will eat it - I don't think its often perffered until late season. It has a high sugar/carbohydrate content after the frosts - but its pretty bitter most of the summer - unless its very young.

You didn't say if you spring or fall planting. If spring - leave the rye and/or rye seed out - You'll have to mow it come August otherwise - and it will dominate the plot.