Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

My woods plot attempt...briars

Old 05-11-2005, 08:01 AM
Spike

Default My woods plot attempt...briars

Since I got the great response to my stump problem, I thought Id go to the experts for more advice.

This same clearing, since it was done a couple years ago has gone crazy with raspberry brambles and some sort of grass. What is the best way todeal with this? Round Up or Poast or just old fashioned grunt work and yank them up?

D
Old 05-11-2005, 08:17 AM

Default RE: My woods plot attempt...briars

I would guess roundup and wait. If you try to do it just yanking you will leave some roots that will sprout later. Round up should totaly kill them
Old 05-11-2005, 09:12 AM
Typical Buck

i'd go with the generic roundup. last week i bought a 2.5 gallon 41% jug for around $48. that's dirt cheap when compared to poast.

just read the label for what strength is suggested for the briars and go with the higher rate.

if you can get a plow, you can plow everthing 6" under, disk it, and start with fresh soil.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Bushhog and spray is probably the best way to get rid of them, but the deer probably desire the briars for food over most any thing you could plant for a spring food source.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:26 AM
Spike

My plan is to make only part of the clearing into food plot and the rest let it stay briars. Its working on a good "edge" cover now so thought I would let it continue. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have to contend with some monster stumps too so not everything will be able to be turned over and planted.

Thank you all for your assistance again!!

D
Old 05-11-2005, 05:00 PM

Bushhog and spray is probably the best way to get rid of them, but the deer probably desire the briars for food over most any thing you could plant for a spring food source.
I agree. Why not fertilize those briars and add a honeysuckle plot nearby?
Old 05-12-2005, 07:03 AM

I agree with the roundup on the plot area.

On the briar area, why not try a three year mowing rotation. Mow a third of it every year and alternate areas to mow so that an area gets mowed ever third year. This should keep fresh browse available and eliminate woody invasive species. Two thirds of the area should have enough tall growth to encourage deer use and bedding.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:13 PM

Briars can sometimes be difficult to kill out..Here we have multiflora rose bushes that are a real pain in the but to get rid of.. I used round-up with 2-4-D LV Ester and it did alright but ****** from Dupont kills them dead with no hope of them coming back. Good Luck..
Old 05-12-2005, 08:04 PM
Typical Buck

how far will a bottle of ****** go (how much can you spray with it)? i saw a real small plastic jug of it at a feed store (8 or 16 oz) and it was almost $200. [:-]