Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Another Newbie Caliber Question >

Another Newbie Caliber Question

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Another Newbie Caliber Question

Old 05-07-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Another Newbie Caliber Question

We can use handguns here in Iowa; I'm wondering which of the more popular calibers would be best: .357, 38 special, 44 mag... What kind of range do these guns have as far as killing power? Keep in mind that most of our hunting in my area will be wooded hills and draws. Thanks for your assistance!
Old 05-07-2005, 04:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Another Newbie Caliber Question

houtsg, I'm going by the three that you mentioned.
44mag. If you are new to the gun I would keep it under
50yds. You did't mention if you are going to scope it,
I would.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:50 PM

houtsdg,
Based on the three you mentioned......the 44mag is the only one I would consider for deer hunting. the 357 is large enough only for a very experienced shooter at very close range. The 38 special is not adequate for deer hunting.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:01 PM

get a 500 go big that is a power house gun I had a guy order one the other day for hogs
Old 05-07-2005, 08:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Of the three you mentioned, go with the .44mag. The .38 is too weak, and the .357 is marginal in good hands at best!
If you are not very experienced with handguns, please, please, ignore the advice of a .500! That is far too much gun for most people to handle! Besides, the .44 will handle ANY Whitetail handgun hunting that you'd ever need!
Old 05-07-2005, 11:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

jagmagman. A voice of reason from out in the wilderness.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah JB, I'm not really trying to get down on anyone, but one of the absolute worst things we can do to newer shooters, and hunters, (or seasoned veterans for that matter) is to over-gun them! While I shoot mag rifles, and handguns all the time, and I'm usually over-gunned in the field, but there is no crime in being recoil shy! And the .500 IS a hoss! The most accurate gun in the world is useless, if you flinch with each shot!Good shootin', and happy huntin'!
Old 05-10-2005, 05:19 PM

get a .50 cal eagle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lo l
Old 05-10-2005, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would get a 44 and shoot it for a while. if i got to the piont where i could shoot that very well but wanted more power but more recoil i would step up to the 454 casuall or the 480 ruger. but i would just stick with the 44 it's a good cartridge handgun or rifle(i have a win. 94 trapper in it)(my hog gun).

about the 500 i really don't see the point. yeah it's the most powerful handgun in the world but why carry a handgun that weighs just as much as a rifle and you would have more power with the rifle.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:56 PM

Forget about the .38 special. It's only good to practice with in a .357 mag gun. Speaking of a .357 mag, I've taken one doe with it. The caliber does have enough power to do the job if you can place the bullet in the heart and lung area. Keep the range under 20 yards for best results. The .44 cal is great on most any animal in North America. Dirty Harry liked it for a darn good reason.
the .500 S&W is over kill and really not nessesary. But I'd love to have one anyway. I'm a fool for big bores.
If you realy want something bigger go for the .480 Ruger. I haven't used one myself but I hear a lot of good stories about it.

Quick Reply: Another Newbie Caliber Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.