Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 This perturbed me a great deal. >

This perturbed me a great deal.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

This perturbed me a great deal.

Old 05-06-2005, 05:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default This perturbed me a great deal.

Hey all,

I just started hunting last year as some of you know and still learning, but this made me angry. I'm not trying to offend anyone but this guy's way of hunting got on my nerves

I'm not sure of the show, as I was so angry that I just turned it off, but let me tell you about this guy. I'm watching this show on locally in Baton Rouge this past weekend (mini vacation from Monroe, about 185 miles north of the capital) at the hotel we were staying at. This guy is sitting in the woods talking about whitetail, so I figured I'd stop and watch. Well, a few mins into the show, he starts rattling antlers and a nice buck shows up.

Instead of waiting for a clear kill shot anywhere in the vicinity of the upper body, he just lines up the rifle and shoots. The cameraman had a better angle on the deer than he did. So, this guy starts tracking the deer, makes a great show about how we need to give the deer time to lie down, then looks right at the camera and says "I don't know where I hit him, but I know I hit him." That did it for me and I had to turn it off.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but it really honked me off that he would just shoot to hit the deer and then hope it would eventually bleed to death.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: This perturbed me a great deal.

Don't know what the show was and don't remember watching anything that fits the description. If you only watched a couple of minutes of the show maybe what you saw was sort of out of contex. He may have been doing a show about if you aren't sure where you hit the deer what you are suppose to do. If he just lobbed a shot like you describe I don't think anyone will take up for him.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:13 AM

Luckily - for us - most TV hunters aren't like this. I was watching an elk hunt in Colorado last night where the hunter had only a few days to get an elk - and passed up very nice animals in the first two days because he wasn't sure of the shot.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah if he was just shooting to hit the animal and didn't have a good shot, that makes me mad.[:@]