Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

stand height??

Old 01-09-2002, 08:43 AM

Default RE: stand height??

For most it is the higher the better as you have seen from most posts. For bowhunters, you can get a little too high and create the possibility of a bad shot due to the greater angle down for like 10-15 yard shots. For gun hunters, I'd go higher for scent control, more forgiveness of movement, and safety if lead from others is flying around. For me that is 16-25 feet for bow and 20-40 for gun.

Lefty Llewellyn
Old 01-09-2002, 08:51 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
does it really matter how high you get? i mean is is better if you are higher?
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>I get from 15 to 25 feet.It is just according where I am hunting.In trees or on a clear cut.
Old 01-09-2002, 10:16 AM

I go up about 20-25 ft.
Old 01-09-2002, 11:35 AM
Spike

Fifteen to twenty-five feet depending on terrain. My permanent stands are typically built twenty feet up. My father-in-law won't use them; he won't go any higher than his fifteen foot ladder stand.

cogito, ergo armatus sum.
Old 01-10-2002, 05:53 PM

I would limit myself to about 15 feet because that was all the steps I had for my hang-on stand. I just got a climber and would go to 20 feet and what a difference? Deer will scan the trees but not that high. I felt like I could stand up and move with ease without being detected. I watch for open shooting lanes, and try to set myself with in the clear shot whatever the hieght might be.

EAT What You Harvest, Mobrandy
Old 01-10-2002, 07:51 PM
D&D
Spike

In the area that I hunt I believe it all depends on the weapon that you are using. I like to get about 12 ft. with a bow. If I use a rifle I try to get anywhere from twelve to twenty feet. No matter what if make sure you use a safety strap.
Old 01-10-2002, 07:52 PM

The higher the better for me also. I like to see as far as I can. When I bowhunt I usually won't go higher than 20 feet though.
Old 01-12-2002, 08:13 PM

The higher up the better and the less change of being detected by a whitetail. Yeah they said back in teh old days a tree stand was the magic ticket for killing mr big or mrs big lol but now a days...deer look up, i have seen them look up and have heard about them looking up. And once they have seen u in a stand look out cuz they will watch that exact spot every time they come through and if ur there...theyre gone. Good heights for scent control and stuff would be around 15-25 feet in my opinion. just my 2 cents
Old 01-12-2002, 08:15 PM

14 feet is perfect for me.
Old 01-12-2002, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my climber I usually go 20-25'. If that's not high enough so be it. This fatboy doesn't like soaring with the eagles.LOL.My leaners are 15'.Ruger Redhawk

Quick Reply: stand height??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.