Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

stand height??

Old 01-08-2002, 06:10 PM

Default stand height??

does it really matter how high you get? i mean is is better if you are higher?
Old 01-08-2002, 06:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: stand height??

I like to get up 20 to 40 feet as long as I can see good. The wind directions are the main thing I watch, sometimes scent will drift up and sometimes it will drift down. I have had a lot of deer downwind that stayed around for and hour or more and never alerted.
Old 01-08-2002, 07:50 PM

Im with Timbercruiser.I like to get as high as possible.
Old 01-08-2002, 08:33 PM

For me I go 10 - 16 ft depending on available trees and terrain.
Old 01-09-2002, 12:17 AM

I like to stay in the 12 to 16 feet range. The angle of shot isn't as severe. I'm obsessed with scent control though.

My last harvest was from 12 feet less than 10 yards from my stand. This was with 3 doe and one buck all within 35 yards.
Old 01-09-2002, 01:05 AM

Over a half centry in the woods I have taken four or five deer from tree stands. Does a barn hay loft count? All others have been while sitting in tree root balls in swamps, standing next to a tree or fence/hedgerow. Over the years I have simply walked up on a buck or vice-versa. Once I was walking thru planted pines about three feet tall with the associated weeds when a big buck stood up and startled both of use. Now my boys hunt from height that would give a normal person a nose bleed. They say eighteen to thiry feet. But I would agree with others that it depends on the terrain. Don't get so high you have no backdrop behind you. And please be careful. I've had friends get badly injured falling from stands. Reason I don't climb high is because I falls asleep while enjoying the peace and quiet. No tellin' how many deer have gotten a chuckle from hearing my snoring while sitting on a stump.
Old 01-09-2002, 07:03 AM
Typical Buck

I LIKE TO GET HIGH AS I CAN BUT ALSO DEPENDS ON THE WOODZ TO BE ABLE TO SEE A GOOD DISTANCE, I LIKE TO GET HIGH SO THE DEER DONT SEE YOU AS MUCH OR SMELL YOU, BUT IT ALL DEPENDS
Old 01-09-2002, 07:24 AM

Mine are twelve feet up a huge oak tree, on the top of a hill. I can see pretty much everything for a couple miles. Surrounded by lots of deer trails.
Old 01-09-2002, 07:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

To me the proper heighth for a deer stand is one of two things, the heighth that you can see all the trails/field you want to is the first, and second is as high as you are comfortable with. I have hunted out of a stand that was 40 ft up that was overlooking a field and a nice runway and was fine with that, but it was a well built permanent stand. In a climber or portable stand due to not being able to stand and walk a little bit I don not like them any higher than 20-25 feet. High is nice as long as you are not worried about slipping or falling when taking a shot, if you feel safe in a stand than it is at the right height. Always wear a safety harness, more than half the hunters killed this year in Va. died from falling out of a stand.

The Tazman
Old 01-09-2002, 08:11 AM

I agree timber! higher the better..i have taken deer from ground but your chances of being detected are greater........

Quick Reply: stand height??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.