Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Motorola talkabout radios

Old 04-16-2005, 03:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default Motorola talkabout radios

Hi everyone,
I just joined a new hunt club yesterday. I found out that they use the small family style radios like the talkabout for communication. The man who heads up the club said to buy a unit that is silent and does not make a load beep or ring when talking or calling someone. Does anyone recommend a certain unit that they like and is quiet? I have seen some units that have vibracall features but also has audible ring tones. I hope that means you can completly disable the sounds and stll use the unit on vibracall. Thanks for any help.

Jim
Old 04-16-2005, 04:37 PM

Default RE: Motorola talkabout radios

dmax , welcome , i use the talkabouts i cant recall the model# there yellow and come in a2 pack rechargeable and ear pieces i have never had a problem with them and had deer in front of me while my buddy called me, they sell them at dicks for 50.00 not a bad price, hope this helps you out !!!
Old 04-16-2005, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

You want an earpiece. I had my dad telling me about the deer he had in front of them when I shot one. With the ear piece vibracall isn't really an issue cause only you will ear the talking. you just wanna make sure the radio you buy doesn't have the beeping sounds after you make a transmition. If you do the other radios will hear that after you talk.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:58 PM

Wont hunt without them anymore. The radio I carry has the NOAA weather on it and I can disable the "Bleep bleep" after transmissions. The other 2 rechargables cant disable the tones. We usually give these to the guys doing the drives... We are of the opinion that minimal talk is good. Only when someone seriously needs something should the mic be keyed, or when passing on key info. Also< if someone doesn"t respond to a transmission LEAVE HIM ALONE
Old 04-16-2005, 08:38 PM

We carry them = they're very useful.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ever since ive been sittin with my dad and family we always used them, and we had earpieces for em and they work great!
Old 04-18-2005, 10:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

For years used the Motorola FRS but I now use the Cobra GRMS -Costco Value pack radios. They have 2 radios with charger, vibrate/audible rings, power save mode, lock feature, 22 main channel with 38 sub channels, range upto 8 miles and VOX. They are cheap and have worked great. With an ear bud the radio's becomes silent so if your going to be in an area where other hunters all run the same channel for various reason the bud is a must, as you'll find some guys will chat when the action is slow and it becomes extremely annoying! (of course when this happens I tell them to channel up until they are finished their little pow wow ;&lt!!!) For the occasional use then the vibrate model without the bud works. The VOX is a nice feature and most allow you to set the sensitivity so little noise or coughs don't turn it on. So far I just stuck with use a reg. bud and key the mic when I want to talk.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:09 PM

I have a set of older motorola t5100's (i believe thats the model) they are ok BUT i borrowed a friends set of midland gxt-450's. Boy is there a difference!

I just wanted to see what the range difference really was and i can tell you alot.

I am planning to buy a set before the fall. they are a little more than the cheapys but hey if you keep them for years they will be worth the extra$$.

Buy .com

Here is where i have found the best prices on them.

And hey i just noticed midland is making a gxt-500 ,i must check it out!
Old 04-18-2005, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been usin em the last 3 or 4 seasons. The main thing I want is one without that &^%(^%&*% beeping
Old 04-19-2005, 07:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

All of the motorola's have a feature (you'll have to read the directions) that shuts off the roger call (annoying beep)

I'd also invest in an earbud with the little pushbutton talk piece. Very Very useful.

I would recommend getting a set of 5 - 8 milers. We keep upgrading, and I think the 5100's are our good set now. We're due for another set. They really have trouble in areas with high ridges and deep canyons. Put a landmass between the two handsets, and you're probably out of touch. The new ones are much better, however.

Regarding the Roger Call, I think I remember holding down a certain button or buttons when I power the unit "ON." It's a simple trick, and it is in the manual. Keep your manual, b/c when you change batteries, the unit will reboot back to the beep mode. You'll have to do it again.

Quick Reply: Motorola talkabout radios

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.