Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anyone bowhunt without camo?

Old 09-15-2002, 11:35 AM

Default Anyone bowhunt without camo?

I'm new to bowhunting this year and work on a limited budget. After purchasing the bow and accessories, licenses, ammo for muzzleloader and rifle season, there isn't much left for camo. And it is darned expensive.

Every deer that I have killed with a muzzleloader or rifle has been within 20 yards except 1. I'm wondering how "necessary" camo is. I don't deny that there are advantages to it, I'm just wondering if there are any bowhunters out there that don't use it?

Old 09-15-2002, 11:48 AM

Default RE: Anyone bowhunt without camo?

i have hunted in a pair of bluejean's and red and black checkered flannel before, it's a person's prefrence, my one hunting buddy think's he need's to be painted in camo, while my granddad wore a pair of bib overall's and a flannel and got his deer every year until he went to the great hunting grounds. as long as you can be still and quite that's the main key. goodluck
Old 09-15-2002, 03:43 PM

The best camo I use and continue to use is Olive Drab jackets and pants. They work really good in all conditions!

"Be as a whisper in the wind."
-Jim-
Old 09-15-2002, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd worry about your smell more than camo. If you have a good background behind you, and don't move around a lot, you should be fine. I'm sure Fred Bear killed a lot of deer without camo.
Just take your time and hunt smart. Have fun.

Old 09-15-2002, 08:51 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-15-2002, 09:01 PM
Typical Buck

I dont see where camo really matters as long as your scent free. If it were me and I couldnt afford the camo. I would just find some dark clothing and descent. like hoyt said olive drab, you could probally find some of this at the salvation army or a flea market somewhere. or if any of your family members were ever in the service they might have some old fatigues. good luck to ya
Old 09-15-2002, 11:16 PM

You can get cheap mossy oak camo at walmart. I bought a jacket, a couple tshirts and a pair of sweats tonight. Total was around $45
Old 09-16-2002, 08:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well I will be using camo for the first time in over 35 years of deer hunting this year. Why? Well I went turkey hunting for the first time last spring and the guy I went with told me I was wasting my time and his if I didn't. I have set on the ground and had deer within ten yards of me feeding for over an hour, what was I wearing? Blue jeans and a fatigue jacket. As long as you have something in front of you to break up your outline and the same behind you and stay still and pay attention to the wind you should be fine, camo will help, but it is not essential.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 09-16-2002, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fred Bear didn't wear camo. He wore flannel most of the time. Come to think of it, they didn't have scent lock cloths then either. Maybe he just knew how to hunt?

Edited by - frizzellr on 09/16/2002 12:40:59
Old 09-16-2002, 12:04 PM

Movement or more importantly LACK THERE OF is the more important than camo. If you pay attention to the little details such as wind direction, breaking up your form by where you stand and the other little things then you shouldn't have problem. Camo help us feel good but there is nothing that common sense and work won't make up for.

My 2 cents

Greg

"Getting close to the game is the joy of Bowhunting for me, the harvest is a bonus."

Live 15 ft Python after eating a small Antelope!

Quick Reply: Anyone bowhunt without camo?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.