Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

[Deleted]

Old 01-08-2002, 02:20 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-08-2002, 02:29 PM
Spike

Default RE: Bucks Grunting?

Bucks (and sometimes does) use grunts as a normal means of communicating with each other. They don't do it constantly as a rule except when the rut is on and they are trailing does. Then, it is common to see a buck with his nose to the ground constantly grunting as he trials a doe. I too have seen lots of deer on many occasions that were as quiet as a church mouse, so I'd question the part about your friends "always" hearing bucks grunt. It's possible it could be something else, but I doubt it. I too have been with hunters that "always" come back to camp with stories about hearing a buck grunt, but I normally blow them off when I consider the source as they tend to exaggerate on everything they do and say anyway.
Old 01-08-2002, 02:39 PM
Spike

I heard a buck grunt for the first time this past bow season. It was a 6 point that had come in from my right nose to the ground winding the drag rag I had used on the way in. To make a long story short the cover was thick and I didn't get a shot but after not finding the doe he crossed a field directly behind my stand and I could hear a very low subtle grunt he made as he was trotting across the field. I never expected it to be that low in volume since I was only about 40 yards from him and I could barely hear it. He grunted every time his front hooves hit the ground as he passed through the field. Very difficult to hear unless you're right on top of it in my opinion.
Old 01-08-2002, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I heard 3 different bucks grunt. A few years ago while bowhunting in the rut, I was sitting on a large open alfalfa feild watching 3 does on the corner of the feild. Then a nice 10 point came running across the open feild after them, grunting for a good 4-5 times in a row. He was 70 yards away and it was easy to hear the deep grunt, grunt, grunt, etc, from him running. I have also had a couple small bucks up close within easy bowrange on the ground, and make a couple grunts. I know I wasn't hearing anything, and am 100% sure they were grunts. But they don't do it all that often, mainly just in the rut.
Visit My Hunting Page

Old 01-08-2002, 02:56 PM

I don't know. Some people say that buck grunting is uncommon but I have heard it on several occasions. I had a buck this year grunting about 15 yards behind me, it was a spike. Then I also had a huge buck snort, grunt, wheezing this year. That is a awsome thing to hear. I had a button buck bleating by me this year. Deer aren't NEARLY as loud as our grunt tubes. You really have to listen to hear one of them!

Good Luck This Season: Buck Magnet
P.S. Only Chuck Adams can sit at home and see deer so get into the woods. =;^)
Old 01-09-2002, 11:43 PM

The past couple of years I have heard Quite a few bucks grunt. It has really helped me out knowing how I should use my grunt tube. Ive heard long 4-5 second grunts to short grunts.